Gas/Octane

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lucky John

Reaction score
This season I will have a private dock which will enable me to fill my tank via gas cans.The gas at the dock is mid-grade,(and about 50 cents per gallon more)if I buy regular 87 will it make any difference on a 07 F 150 Yami?
With the expected price of fuel this season every little bit will help. :)

You might want to check the book on that motor to be certain, but I believe that all of those motors use 87 octane these days.

The manual says 89 octane on my 2007 F250. For the extra pennies I go with it. I was told by my dealer to only run 89 octane. He said these motors are very fine tuned to 89 octane and you will get better fuel economy and fuel stability out of the mid grade. The way I look at it is boating is expensive and so are the boats/motors. This being said I am going to do what the dealer/manufacturer recommends. Reality is if a motor is electronically tuned for a certain grade of fuel it makes sense to run that fuel in it. If you choose to run a lesser grade your economy will suffer accordingly and you really won’t be saving anything. :wink:

The owners manual for the F150 on page 41 lists minimum octane at 86. Stick with regular gas and ringfree.
Ray

I always use ring-free.I am going to go down and paint the bottom soon.I'll ask my mechanic and see what he has to say.But I'd say that 87 should be good to go.

My dealer recommends 89 octane and adding Ring Free to every tank of gas for my 2005 Yamaha 250.

TonyAmalfitano":2u8inyjz said:
What's "Ring Free"?

It is a fuel conditioner product recommended by Yamaha to keep carbon build-up to a minimum. Carbon build-up can cause the rings to stick and score the cyl walls thereby destroying a motor. It also keeps the O2 sensor clean on my OX66.
Maintenance dose for Ring Free is 1 oz per each 10 gallons of fuel. Cheap insurance!

ringfreefueladd-250.jpg

I buy mine in the quart containers from Andy at Shipyard Island Marine (SIM). It's not cheap, but it does go a long way.

I finally remembered to ask my mech if 87 was good for my f 150.He said for that motor it's fine,but for a 225 and a 250 use 89 it's recommended.

That is good to know about the octane like they told you!!! I have to keep that in mind!!So i have a 150 yam so i guess 87 is fine for me!!!

Back