Gas Tank Question

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jhendric

Reaction score
Folks, I have had my 1996 25' 2501 for just over a year now. Wehn I winterized it this past December I filled the tank all the way for the first time since I have owned it. After I filled it there is a strong gas odor from the bilge. I fear that I may have a fuel tank leak.

2 Questions. First, what things should I look for to trouble shoot and make sure what my problem is. Second, how much am I looking at paying for a tank replacement if worst case come to be.

PS...there is no gas in the bilge per se...just a strong odor coming from the bilge...

How long have you owned the boat? Have you ever smelled any fuel in the bilge before this time?
If this is the first time you have ever filled it, and the first time you've ever smelled fumes in the bilge, I'd first checked every fitting you can get access to (fill neck, vent hose, etc.).
I believe replacing a fuel tank in most, if not all Parkers involves cutting the deck up. I hope it's something simple for ya. Keep us posted.

Tim

Check the sending unit gasket. That vintage with the new Ethanol Fuels that seal could be compromised.

If this is the first time you filled it all the way I would guess the gasket or a fitting like Tim said. Usually if tanks go bad they rot on the bottom where it is wet on the outside or water separated out and collects on the inside. Check the fill and vent hoses too, they may need relacing.

Good Luck

FWIW my bro's late 80s GW had this last Spring and it was just the hoses to the tank. All replaced - all OK.

Thanks guys...the sending unit gasket is very logical...I had my sending unit tested shortly after buying the boat...i'll try that first...

One more question. How likely is it that the problem is my tank? Given that the boat is 12 years old?

I found the source of my problems this weekend ...one of the screws holding the sending unit is stripped...gas is leaking through the screw hole. I pulled it out with my fingers and gas dribbled out...will siphone some gas out of the tank so the leaking stops then have someone else retap and re gasket the sending unit....whew...I talked to the man about a tank replacement, I was looking at 3k minimum....

Don't need to siphon, just lower your front end. If on trailer, with jack stand. If in water, then two big fat guys on the bow.......sorry I'm busy this weekend.

FYI: make sure you use gas rated sealant on the screws and don't over-tighten.....just enough so the gasket starts to press out slightly from under the flange.

jim

That is great news.
But the other side of the coin is to VENTILATE that area before you do any work wether using a battery powered tool or 115 volt.
Vapors are heavy and we do not want any accidents among our members.
My business is in petroleum and it is dangerous if you are not aware of the situations.
Just my $0.02 worth.

Thanks for the concern...and I agree...Gas tank work is better left to the professionals...

TimC2520":2ye0mmi4 said:
There is a 1990 2520 in the slip next to me, original tank but I've also heard of tanks lasting ten years +-.
FWIW my old Pro-Line was a '77 model and the belly tank wasn't as thick as the Parker fuel tank ... and it was still sound after I had it for 24 years.

You'll hear me say this a lot ... VENT your bilge to air it out ... condensation builds up in there if not aerated.

"A dry bilge is a happy bilge ..."

Good point, Condensation happens in the forward compartments too. What would be the best way to ventilate these areas other than just leaving the hatches open when not in use.

Latest posts

Back