Gas / Winter

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pmeggers

Reaction score
Hey guys...I got a question for everyone for winter storage. In the past Ive typically filled my boats to the brim with gas before storing. However, I was talking to my father over the weekend and he told me his mechanic recommends the tank being as empty as possible...

My usual routine is make sure the stabalizer and startron has run through the engine, winterize, then top it off, then add more treatment.

Thoughts?

Ahh, the great debate.

I fill mine up and treat with stabilizer. Have not had a problem yet. I do it to prevent condensation.

I hear the arguments that the fuel/water separators will take care of the condensation. I'd rather keep my tank as water free as can be.

That said, I know other people who haven't had any problems leaving their tanks half full to empty.

With the use of ethanol, the whole question becomes muted. I have since 2007 left the tank full and added ethanol stabilizer. I also try to run my engine at lease twice a month during the winter months. I have not had an issue with the engine--------------- yet. We all know that anything mechanical can develope a problem. The engine 'Gremlins' are every where.

Bryan 2530":1qc4ejm4 said:
That is old school thinking, now with Ethanol the procedure is reversed. :D

Leave as little as you can. 8) Top off in the spring.

The full tank thing was mainly for the yards and their insurance policy.
So true with ethanol fuel! Better to have a somewhat empty tank to fill than have a full tank of crap ethanol-laden fuel!

Back