Gel coat rust spots

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MR RICH

Reaction score
Has anyone ever encountered rust spots bleeding thorough the gel coat? If so is there any cure. It apears there may have been foreign materials in the gel coating when it was sprayed on at the factory.

Where-abouts? Owners have reported 'rust bleeds' down in the bilge on the inside where the garboard drain is secured. Note these typically are cosmetic only. Please understand that all gelcoat is porous by nature anyway and that stainless steel doesn't typically corrode as long as it is 'open or freely' exposed to the environment. When trapped or encapsulated in a material, the protective oxide layes is compromised and it will corrode. This is called crevice corrosion.

If in the area I mentioned, this part of the hull is a complete, non-wood thick layup and you should be A-OK.

Note that my '92 vintage doesn't show such bleed throughs, but this is due to gelcoat changes from the OEM makers due to EPa regulations and 'green' initiatives. Gelcoats of today aren't as good as they were in the past, but better for the environment to be sure.

All spots are on the topside , decks , gunnels etc.They started showing up last year(boat is 2007 2320) and Upon uncovering we now have many more spots. They are not contained in one area but seem to be the areas most exposed to the weather.

Did you do any work on the boat that required drilling metal that resulted in fillings on the deck? In the fall I decided to build a new winter cover using 3/4 electrical tubing, I tought I picked up all of the metal from the drilling. Well I didn't get them all now I have rust spots on the nonskid that I need to get out. Morale of the story do the metal fab outside the boat.

FWIW

No work that would result in rust spots but that is exactly what it looks like . This has been showing up for gone on 2 yrs. and is getting worse as time goes on. I thought maybe some one else has encountered the same problem.

Can you post a picture?

If it's in an area that has plywood and the plywood gets wet, the epoxy binding the plywood will leach a 'rust' color through the gel coat.

I have a spot on the deck just in front of my bilge deck hatch which told me I had a water seepage problem. Sure enough, I had wet wood.

I hope that's not your problem.

I have this on my 2011 2320 in a few top side locations, nothing bad and I believe it is from the bridge next to my property and poss even from trailering on the roads. I had the same thing on my Scout center console which has 0 wood. The bridge has rust all over it. They are just specks and ON OFF with a tooth brush takes it right off.

Well , I used on off with good results.Still baffels Me as to what causes it.Should I happen to discover the cause I'll post it . Thanks to all for the replies.Now is time to hit the DB & ocean. HAPPY FISHING

Back