Going larger trim tabs. Lenco or Bennett???

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

5150dude

Reaction score
I recently took off my Permatrim and now feel the need for bigger tabs.
I keep my boat in the water and somewhere I heard Bennetts might be better.
Any feedback would be appreciated.
Dave

Just did some research on the Volvo tabs. Wow!
I will have to see which size, 18" or 12". I am leaning towards the 18"

5150dude":1r7h524y said:

I love mine :!: i have the 12"ers but my hull shape is quite a bit different. you may want to go with the 18"ers

FishFactory":1gzshv5g said:
Parkers have clean straight transoms allowing for max tabs. I see no advantage in undersizing tabs. With large tabs, yer won't miss the duel fin/tail fin thingy at all.

As far as Bennett vs others, Bennett invented the hydraulic tab in '60's. They have been the standard for a long time. Simple, reliable.

FishFactory nailed it.

FWIW I run a 21SE and have 9"x24" tabs. I so no benefit in running smaller tabs.

5150dude":1ougnjfj said:

I dunnoh ... I wouldn't jump so quick ...

From all of the research I've seen, their practicality on 'smaller' vessels like ours isn't as viable as plane-type tabs. They're also supposed to be extremely poor performing at slower speeds. You might make 'em work per se (i.e., lower the bow, etc.), but at what sacrifice for speed and fuel efficiency??

You see ... ALL TRIM TAB DESIGNS use drag to create the lift. Do you want your lift created by placing a surface PERPENDICULAR (high drag) to the water or ANGULARLY (lower drag) to the water? Studies show that more efficient lift can be effected by using a longer (chord) and wider (span) tab design of a planing surface.

grouperjim":2mn995ne said:
i pick ANGULARLY.......and a Permatrim......you can never have too much lift or control. 8)

I don't disagree with that at all. I bet those Permatrims have zero to negligible effect as far as speed and what life they give, help reduce the lift (hence - drag) you need from your trim tabs.

But - CAUTION - as far as "too much" lift, well that CAN be downright dangerous :shock: if you drop the bow so much that the boat steers from the forefoot, which is about where the V slices and enters the waves. In nautical terms this is caused 'bow steer' (imagine that ;) ) and it is what aids a lifting stern wave from a following sea to initiate a pitch-poling moment.

the Permatrim is also handy when you need to clean some mud off the anchor. it's that good. :mrgreen: just don't abuse it.

those pesky Yellowfins and Contenders will beat me to the fishing grounds every time. :? (unless it's raining of course) 8)

FishFactory":3o9gc089 said:
Not too sure about the permatrims. They definitely scrub off speed. Every few years, they re-emerge with a new name. Never really caught on.
Factoid #1 - OB makers don't recommend them as THEY don't want the warranty claims when someone steps on one to get into the boat. True ... they warranty the motor, NOT the OB and motor and as rigged.

Also, you 'think' they scrub off speed. Well maybe 1-2 @ WOT top end, but WHO runs there? In my actual before & after testing on many boats, all verified on multiple runs @ slack tide in 2 directions ... the performance gains far outweigh any loss of top-end MPH, at least by my testing.

I've used them on the following boats that I've owned and tested; 12, 14, 16' skiffs with OBs up to 40hp, a Lund Tyee 18' with 90hp and a 24' cuddy cabin powered by a V6.

Performance benefits =

* Faster to plane
* Plane @ lower speeds
* Keeps the bow DOWN (critical on small skiffs)
* Makes the boat more stable in turns - tracks like she's on rails!
* Maintains even trim over more varied loading conditions

Thus ... my real-world experience counters your beliefs ;) .

24x9 Bennetts for me.

DSCN0015.JPG

I have twins so I can't go too much wider on my tabs without disturbing the water going past the lower units. Therefore the Permatrim approach is best for me. I love mine (which are actually CoBra plates, not Permatrim, but they do the same thing).

Dave

aka

I'll have to agree with Dale...no one runs at WOT all day long. I don't care about 1-2 mph at WOT, but I do care about staying on plane at a lower speed in the slop, and smoothing out the ride in the mid-range. I'll take a better mid-range ride any day over 1-2 mph at WOT.

Dave

aka

FishFactory":2evuqqyc said:
Why the agressive/confrontational remarks, red/bold type?

Huh? No tone was intended via the use of bold or red text usage. Quite simply, I was highlighting key points in my reply, from my experience. If you took it personally, you yourself implied that tone from my posting. That is and remains your problem to resolve ... not mine. :)

Latest posts

Back