Good Engine Matchups

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeMarkCA

Reaction score
Good day.

I am looking to buy a used Parker Pilot House, most likely a 2320, but would not object to a 2520 if a good buy came my way.

So far in my searches it seems that every boat I came across, around ten years old, they seem under-powered. I have seen a few 2320s matched with a 200HP, and even a couple of 2520 with 225s, am I right, this is not enough engine if I'm planning to saltwater fish with up to four people in a Parker?

Was Parker notorious for under powering their boats in the past?

Thank you for any input.

Regards

Mike

Mike it's a little more complicated than what's on the surface. The 2520's came in various dead rises. 14, 16 & 21 I believe? So if you see a 2520 XL with a 225 on it that is one of the 14 or 16 models. If I'm off on this, one of the 2520 guys will correct me. The 2520 XLD's are the deep v 21 degree ones. I would not get one of these with less than 300HP single or twin combo. I have seen several 2320's with 225's but I don't know about 200's unless you are talking about 2 stroke 200's? Then maybe? From previous owners comments and from my own personal opinion as a 2120 owner with a 225, I think the 2320 is probably good with a 250 and even better with a 300? This also all depends on what years you are talking about. The new 4.2 Yamahas are lighter than the older 4 strokes and you can now get a 300 that weighs less than my 2006 225. As to Parker's being underpowered? I'd say most builders will spec their standard motor for entry level a little on the under powered side, its up to the buyers to upgrade.

I have a 2320 with the 225 4.2 to me that is a good match, how ever if I were to repower a 250 or 300 would be my choice. I tested a 2320 with a 200hp that was the reason I waited 1yr to buy. I would not buy a 2520 with less than twin 150s or a single 300hp.

No One has Ever said ... "I wish I had less Horsepower."

23 = 250HP

25 = 300Hp Med V

25= twin 200's Deep V

Do that and you will not regret it.

Just cause you got it, doesn't mean you have to use it. But if you need it and don't have it... It makes a boat a Pig.

I own a 2320 with a 200hp outboard. I love my boat HOWEVER it is a dog with the 2 stroke 200hp on it. I do fine (but not good) when I have less than 1/2 tank of gas but when it's full with 3 to 4 guys on board, it is not enjoyable. One day I will upgrade and it will be a 250. Just my $.02.
Good luck

Thank you for the replies! I have always been a believer that the bulk of fuel wasted it trying to get on plain with an under-powered engine on the backside of a swell.

Wow, I had no idea hulls on these models varied so much. Time to get more specific.. Would love to get your opinions on these two boats..

How about a 2006 2320 SL with a 200HP 4-stroke. What can you tell me about that hull, matched with a 200HP 4-stroke Yami?

https://monterey.craigslist.org/boa/5454951659.html

How about a 1998 2520, no hull classification, with a 225 HP Two stroke?

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/bod/5474559171.html

Thank you in advance, willing to wait for the right ride, looking for the retirement boat!!

I have a 2530 mod v same as warthog with a 250hp etec and it pushes the boat just as well as his 300hp susuki. I'm able to get up and out on to plan and reach speed to 42mph.

kidfreediver":3m8uu7l5 said:
I have a 2530 mod v same as warthog with a 250hp etec and it pushes the boat just as well as his 300hp susuki. I'm able to get up and out on to plan and reach speed to 42mph.

So what would you think of your boat with a 225, big difference, not much difference?

My 2520 XL with modified V (16 degree deadrise) had a Yamaha 225 on it when I bought it. It was ok in most situations, but vastly underpowered when you really needed it. Whether a following sea, or a nasty inlet at low tide, I couldn't get over that swell to save my life......no pun intended. I repowered with a 300 E-Tec, now it is properly powered, and a much safer boat.

Ludicrous40":2itavqyl said:
My 2520 XL with modified V (16 degree deadrise) had a Yamaha 225 on it when I bought it. It was ok in most situations, but vastly underpowered when you really needed it. Whether a following sea, or a nasty inlet at low tide, I couldn't get over that swell to save my life......no pun intended. I repowered with a 300 E-Tec, now it is properly powered, and a much safer boat.

OK thanks, I don't have the money for a boat and a re-power, so I think my first instinct might be right, a 225 is not enough for a 25 footer.

Let me clarify: Mine was a 225 4-stroke. I have to believe that you would have some better low end punch if it was a 2 stroke.

In my opinion, the 225 hp Yami 4 stroke is great for the 2320.
I have had 7 adults, half tank of fuel, and did 38mph.

Good luck

Makoman232":1d52i0te said:
In my opinion, the 225 hp Yami 4 stroke is great for the 2320.
I have had 7 adults, half tank of fuel, and did 38mph.

Good luck

Yes but the boats in question today are a 2320 with a 200
and a 2520 with a 225.

Mike, I think you can see from the others that both these boats are under powered. That 2520 looks to be in fantastic shape though. It appears to be one of the 14 or 16 degree ones? Anyway, as mentioned, 2320 = 250 or more and a 2520 mod V = also 250 or more. That said, one of the new 2320' S with the new 4.2 Yamaha 225 would be a minimum but a 250 would be better. Good luck

What would a 2320 do with a 200 etec????? That's the question. 225hp etec on my rig would have done fine because the low end would still be there to get up and on to plane. Probably be pushing somewhere around 38mph

I agree completely that you need more power, not less. These are not speed boats but you need a proper holeshot for takeoff, heavy loads and following sea handling.

But it must be noted that just about every manufacturer offers minimum powering options. It should not be construed negatively on behalf of the builder. Many Parkers are used for commercial purposes (crabbing, lobstering, surveying) where power requirements are minimal. The fault here really lies on the buyers who choose these low power options for other than commercial use or the dealers who want to sell "lowball" pricing without advising the buyers responsibly.

OK, thanks for all the replies. I might still go look at the 2320 with a future re-power in mind, but he'll have to come down about 5K to get me to jump...I'm patient.

When I first got my 2520 MV with a 14 degree deadrise I had a 225 4 stroke Yamaha. I was able to hit 41 mph with a couple of people on board and I did take a trip 120 miles round trip with 7 people and I was still able to cruise at 30 mph. The 225 definitely works harder to get and keep the hull on step with a low mpg. I repowered with a 300 Yamaha and it has increased my fuel economy significantly at cruise. My top end speed has not got to much better, but I can still hit it with 1500 lbs. of people and equipment on the boat.

I have a 21' cc Parker sou'wester and repower rd from a 175 etec to a 225 etec. Still testing props but with a 14 3/4 X 17 3 blade I run about 50 mph (gps) at 6100 rpm with full tank of fuel and 3 people on board. Dealer wants me to try a 14 3/4 19 but that will increase my mph which I don't really nead. But I use less fuel then when I had the 175 hp running a 175 hp etec with a 15 X 16 with WOT AT 40 mph.

Latest posts

Back