Grandfather's Old Rod & Reel

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Porkchunker":qoolypfa said:
Dont' let 'em go...they are probably worth a lot as collector's items.

Dave

aka

I like them too..... but....

They are worth a lot more a reminders of days gone by and family treasures. I've collected old reels and some rods. I would expect a price tag of about 60 dollars for a combo like that.

I recently started going through the tackle my grandad left me when he passed away. I have been reluctant because I really miss him and honestly it was tough to even put my hands on the gear. In all, seven tackle boxes and about twenty rod/ reel combos. Penn's, Mitchells and Ocean City's mostly. My grandad kept about half of the boxes that his lures came in, we're talking Mint-condition Heddon Dewogiacs and the like. I was trying to determine about when some of this stuff was purchased. The price tags are still on a lot of it and most of it is under $1.50! I found a card that came from Shakespeare, it was a calendar/ fishing guide from 1955, it looked brand new! This stuff is in pristine condition. It is like going back in time when I open the boxes and thinking he was the last guy to put his hands on this takle is very cool to say the least. I wouldn't even consider parting with any of it.

Here's another that I haven't cleaned up yet. My dad made the rod when I was a pup.

mitchell.jpg

My father gave me a reel that I lost in a fire. I think it was a Dam Quick spinning reel. I wish I still had it.

I have an extensive collection of old tackle. Here are some answers to your question. Rod holders in the old days were usually heavy walled brass tubing with chrome plating.
Boats were made of wood and the rod holders were attached with screws to the inside of the gunwale.
Fishing had to be done with the rod in hand. The ancient reels were known as knuckle-busters, because they had no anti-reverse mechanism or drag system. The spinning handle could do a real number on your hand when you tried to grab it. An "educated thumb" on the spool was necessary. Spinning reels became popular in the late forties. Conventional reels for surf casting had a piece of leather mounted on the rear crossbar that was pressed against the spool to avoid bird-nesting.
Thankfully tackle sure has come a long way!

I have a few Ocean City Reels that were my dads. I was told by an older gent in central florida that Penn was somehow responsible for OC demise, afterwhich, Penn purchased the mfg equip etc. Supposedly, the Penn 309 is or was all an OC design. Keep in mind, the older gent was a fisherman......

btw, the line doesn't appear to be threaded from the reels properly.

Frank S.":3rdqwqwx said:
I have a few Ocean City Reels that were my dads. I was told by an older gent in central florida that Penn was somehow responsible for OC demise, afterwhich, Penn purchased the mfg equip etc. Supposedly, the Penn 309 is or was all an OC design. Keep in mind, the older gent was a fisherman......

Ah Ha!
I thought that OC reel looked like a Penn design...
but if the 'FL fisherman' has the history right, the Penns are actually an OC design.

Cool stuff. 8)

The rod is an Old St Croix. I know as I have one as well. You can ship it back to St. Croix in Wisconsin and they will rewrap the guides and reepoxy the entire blank for FREE. There were a lot of pre make combos that were set up that way. Either the Penn Reel or a Daiwa Reel. I will try to post some pics of my old tackle. I take it with me to use but I always get a little nervous to use it. So now I just display it in my basement. Dont ever sell any of it because you will Never be able to replace it.

Latest posts

Back