Great tool for cutting

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hard Core

Reaction score
I had painted myself into a corner in my dash to install the Simrad AP26 control head that just arrived. Even though I had saved a spot for it, I no longer had room to maneuver a jig saw in there. Also, as many of you know how heavy duty the construction is on these Parkers, I wasn't looking forward to burning through a bunch of jigsaw blades either.

I wound up picking up a tool called a RotoZip at Home Depot with a rotary cutting head (looks like a drill bit with much wider spaced threads). I applied the cutting template for the AP control head, drilled a starter hole, and it did the job beautifully, I did the whole job on one bit, but it was starting to dull at the end.

I guess it is nominally the same (maybe lower cost) than a Dremel. Anyways, it will be the tool of choice for me for cutting at least when a hole saw cannot be used.

Cheers

I haven't bought one yet, but it's 'on my list' of tools to buy.

RZ25_RZ_pd.jpg

Hi Hardcore

I also used my rotozip tool to rework the cutout for my Garmin 545s. Originally there was a Furono grey scale FF in the spot. Actually, I have a Ryobi rotozip. I intially tried a jigsaw but after the first "jump" of that tool, I switched to the rotozip and it came out great! I will use that took on all my cutouts from now on. I also was able to use the same transducer cable with an adaptor cable that I bought from BOE Marine. Good luck with all your future projects.
Bob

I have the cordless Ryobi and the corded Roto Zip and I love them. I used them to cut all of the holes in my Parker. The key is with deep cuts is to go sloooow. If you see smoke slow down. Also on thinner material be careful as it can get away from you. I usually make a guide or template to ride against to keep it on track. :wink:

A buddy and I have been restoring a 1972 19' Mako CC, and we've used the Roto Zip for so many things I can't even count 'em. It was a godsend for cutting out the rotted transom. Excellent tool.

They make several different models, which one would work the best for cutting into the 2520 dashboard.

I think I've seen on another post that the dash may be 3/4" thick. Does anyone know?

Do you need a special attachment and what bit or bits work best to cut thru the glass and plywood.

Looks like a great tool and a nice solution for cutting in a new 4210.

Thanks for any input !!

evetsmd":n6dhjud3 said:
I think I've seen on another post that the dash may be 3/4" thick. Does anyone know?

The helm on my 1996 2520 was easily 3/4" thick.
If I can find the cutout, I'll measure it and post a photo.
The cutout was saved to a real good place... now if I could just find it. :roll:

You might be able to see the thickness in this photo.

Image-A8AB9F8EA06C11D8.jpg

The helm on my 1996 2520 was easily 3/4" thick.
That's why I'm asking about which model of Robo Zip, what attachment and what kind of bit.
That is some serious material to cut.
Thanks for the picture......it sure could be every bit of 3/4"

Enjoy the weekend.

It's a Roto Zip (Not Robo Zip) SESO1 LE is the model I have and no special attachments needed. The spiral bit for wood/fiberglass will be fine. They make bits just for fiberglass but they do not work on plywood so you will have to use a spiral bit. The bits are marked as to what material they work on.

Be careful not to mount it too high on the dash and get into that top horizontal layer. I would start at least 1" - 1 1/2" down from the top of the dash if possible. Move slow with the bit and set your depth 1/4" - 1/2" deeper than the material you are cutting. You will probably break a couple of bits so but a 5 pack. Good luck and look twice before you cat and check underneath as you are going around to make sure everything is clear.

SESO1 LE is the model

Hate to bother u again but I went to the Roto Zip web site and did a search for this model and nothing pops up?

Thanks for the advice on the bit and cutting technique.

Have a great Day!

evetsmd":1d6d12zg said:
SESO1 LE is the model

Hate to bother u again but I went to the Roto Zip web site and did a search for this model and nothing pops up?

Thanks for the advice on the bit and cutting technique.

Have a great Day!

I have had this one for several years it may be discontinued? Mine is similar to the RZ10.

I don't have the exact model number off hand, but I picked up mine from Home Depot for just under $60. It will cut material up to an inch thick. I used the bits designed for wood.

The dash on my 2510 XLD is 3/4 inch ply plus various amounts of glass. In the middle, it is largely just gelcoat, but when you get near the edges of the dash, it gets much thicker quickly. I had to cut my own studs to mount my NavNets as it gets much thicker near the edge and top of the dash.

Regards,
Hard Core

Latest posts

Back