Gunwale Fiberglass Repair

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Themis

Reaction score
This is not a Parker (Whaler). And it has been a while. Can I post this for your advice?

screws.jpg

I want to back out these screws. The two that are already backed out have silicon in them to prevent water from coming into the hull.

I want to make this pretty and right. The gelcoat is desert tan. There is no wood under the fiberglass. What would you do?

Dig out all the silicone and wet foam.

Polyester filler.

Gelcoat.

Wetsand to 1500.

Buff to shine. 8) 8) 8)

What filler would you use? I am going later to an auto part store, and I saw an old DaleH post about Formula 27. Will they have that? You concur?

Thank you!

Formula 27 would work, but you migh want to get something with some fiber in it for the first application. Then use the Formula 27 as a fairing coat, then Gelcoat over that to match.

The fiber will help keep the repair from spider cracking in the future. It all depends on the size of the hole you end up with, bigger + more fiber.

Also try to taper the ends of the hole to minimize cracking. If the holes get too big you may need to add a little glass and resin.

Hope that helps.

Back