Has anyone installed a keel guard on there Parker?

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Shouldn't need them across the strakes...only on the keel.

BTW, you don't need to completely beach the boat. You can drop the anchor in deeper water, then back up to set the anchor, keep backing up until you get shallow, and then step out and stretch out an extra anchor rode and anchor toward the beach. The boat will float with a few inches to a foot of water under the keel, never touching the bottom.

You can do the reverse. Motor in toward shore and toss an anchor off the stern. Set the anchor and let out rode until you get shallow. Then use the anchor at the bow to anchor from the dry beach. Again, the boat floats in a few inches to a foot of water.

Have done this many times with my little woodie (which has a fragile keel to begin with).

Dave

aka

I have it on my 2320 in blue --They been on the day I bought the boat new in 05. I hit something when I was tuna fishing at night this year.. It put a chip in it. I just e-mail the company. Nancy got back to me and is sending me a new 10 ft. piece for free. I had to send her a picture. I beach the boat all the time. When I lived in Long Island it was all little rocks. If I didnot have it when I hit that [Sea turtle] I would of put a chip in the boat.
I had them on all my boats. GREAT !!!!!!!!!!! I can send you pictures of how it looks --e-mail me at [email protected]

Marty D":1ckemkeh said:
I have it on my 2320 in blue --They been on the day I bought the boat new in 05. I hit something when I was tuna fishing at night this year.. It put a chip in it. I just e-mail the company. Nancy got back to me and is sending me a new 10 ft. piece for free. I had to send her a picture. I beach the boat all the time. When I lived in Long Island it was all little rocks. If I didnot have it when I hit that [Sea turtle] I would of put a chip in the boat.
I had them on all my boats. GREAT !!!!!!!!!!! I can send you pictures of how it looks --e-mail me at [email protected]

What company is yours made by?

Porkchunker":4up7dun0 said:
Shouldn't need them across the strakes...only on the keel. The strakes go all the way to the keel. I want to install it from the bow eye around 10' back. The keel guards are 5-6" width.BTW, you don't need to completely beach the boat. You can drop the anchor in deeper water, then back up to set the anchor, keep backing up until you get shallow, and then step out and stretch out an extra anchor rode and anchor toward the beach. The boat will float with a few inches to a foot of water under the keel, never touching the bottom.

You can do the reverse. Motor in toward shore and toss an anchor off the stern. Set the anchor and let out rode until you get shallow. Then use the anchor at the bow to anchor from the dry beach. Again, the boat floats in a few inches to a foot of water.

Have done this many times with my little woodie (which has a fragile keel to begin with).

Dave

aka

Thanks For The Info. Where I want to beach they do not allow anchoring off shore (ive used your method in the past) The other issue is the extreme drop off, 50' off shore the depth drops to over 130'. difficult to anchor and too much work :wink: I have beached the boat before and have a few scratches on the keel and want to cover it anyhow so I figure the keel guard will be multi purpose. I will get a fresh start but was mainly concerned about how it would adhear over the strakes.

I run in the Ches. Bay...very shallow. Don't believe I've ever encountered more than 30' water close to shore.

May have to heat the keel guard with a hair dryer in order to get it to mold and stick around the sharp bend of the strake.

Dave

Porkchunker":3lg0evum said:
I run in the Ches. Bay...very shallow. Don't believe I've ever encountered more than 30' water close to shore.

May have to heat the keel guard with a hair dryer in order to get it to mold and stick around the sharp bend of the strake.

Dave

I am going to have to get my hands on a piece to see how pliable it really is. Once in place I would run a bead of 3M4200 around it to keep water from intruding the edges. The hair dryer may be a good idea for the entire installation. I read the installation directions and temperatures are referenced and must be above 70 degrees. I am almost ready to pull the trigger. Where I beach is off Pt Patience in the Patuxent River about 2 miles up the river in beside the Solomon’s Island Bridge. Very steep drop off. Thanks for your thoughts.

maxout":ml25h5ps said:
Porkchunker":ml25h5ps said:

Dave

I am going to have to get my hands on a piece to see how pliable it really is. Once in place I would run a bead of 3M4200 around it to keep water from intruding the edges. The hair dryer may be a good idea for the entire installation. I read the installation directions and temperatures are referenced and must be above 70 degrees. I am almost ready to pull the trigger. Where I beach is off Pt Patience in the Patuxent River about 2 miles up the river in beside the Solomon’s Island Bridge. Very steep drop off. Thanks for your thoughts.

I launch out of the NRC at Pt. Patience. Have fished that drop off several times. However, I've never noticed any gravel or rock there...only sand. Why the need for the keel guard?

Dave

aka

Porkchunker":27n3arhh said:
maxout":27n3arhh said:
Porkchunker":27n3arhh said:

Dave

I launch out of the NRC at Pt. Patience. Have fished that drop off several times. However, I've never noticed any gravel or rock there...only sand. Why the need for the keel guard?

Dave

aka

Across from the point is where we beached. Do you go out of there often? We need to hook up during prime Rock Fish season (Nov). I'm not sure if you are big into trolling but would be glad to swap techniques. I frequently launch out of Solomons under the bridge.

I didn't think it was too rocky either until I beached there. Found out the hard way how much damage a little rock can do. Got some pretty good scratches & gouges. Instead of trying to repair them I figure it would be easier to cover and not have to worry about any more. I also have property in Drum Point that has the remains of some rip rap and gets shallow at times. Sometimes you have to get real close with the bow to get a line and on a mean low have come really close. I am looking at it as a cover up and added protection. :wink:

maxout":xidm3cdd said:
...Across from the point is where we beached. Do you go out of there often? We need to hook up during prime Rock Fish season (Nov). I'm not sure if you are big into trolling but would be glad to swap techniques. I frequently launch out of Solomons under the bridge...

I try to fish a couple time a month out of the Solomons area.

Yes, we'll have to link up for the fall trolling season. I'm mostly a LTJ and fly fisherman. I don't troll often (have 11 rods and lots of UBs and DCs, and other baits, but haven't used them in three years), so I've lost the knack. Would like some instruction.

Dave

Back