hatch in cockpit, 2320

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wdeluna

Reaction score
Hello, I have a 2005 2320 that I purchased last week. I love the boat and used it for the first time yesterday. The model is apparently the one that has the gas tank farther aft and a large fish box/storage area directly behind the cabin door in the cock pit. There is a drain in this box and I assumed it was to drain water when using this box as an ice hold or fish hold. However, when I launched the boat, this area immediately filled up with water to the water line. My question is this, is there suppose to be a ball vallve or a plug for this drain or is this a normal occurance to fill with water? I think this is a bad design because there is no way to drain this box when the boat is in the water! Your input is appreciated, thanks much.

Yes. There should be an in-line ball valve. Should be one near the overboard discharge. If not, consider installing one. In the time being, get a plug and put it into the discharge so no water can get in.

well it appears it drains through the scupper in the hull directly under the hold and there is no way to install a ball valve or even access this area. I guess I will use a plug. I am really dissapointed with this design. Thanks for the info

I am confused y this post. I have a 2000 2320 and just bought it in december. When i sea trialed the boat i dont remember there being water in that hat h behind the cabin door. How would the water be getting into the hatch????

I use a standard plug in mine, and if the space is full of water for whatever reason - it will drain when you are underway. I launched once and forgot to put the plug in, it drained very quickly once I got moving.

Thanks for all the info. As far as the question is concerned about how the water is getting into the hold, it merely fills up through the drain until it reaches water line. It looks as if the inside of this drain is threaded so I wonder if it originally came with some sort of fitting or valve to prevent the indiscriminate flow of water from entering. So are you saying that your 2000 model doesnt have a drain in the bottom of the hold? Weird because mine is definately designed to be there. It's a 1 inch id brass (or copper) pipe with threaded interior.

Continued.....and the water is entering through the scupper in the hull, directly below the drain. Sorry I omitted that last post.

So do you have a through hull directly under the box???

If so does it have a ball valve or better yet a true seacock??

If not, it should.

Miky's 2000 - 2320 empties straight into the bilge, no through hull there.

I would guess the previous owner incorrectly installed a through hull without a shut off on your boat.

Pictures would help immensely in diagnosing this problem. :arrow:

Yes it has a thru-hull (scupper type) directly under the box. No shut off valve of any type between box and hull, and it could not have been owner installed because there ia absolutely no access whatsoever in this area. It had to be installed upon manufacture of the boat, such as when the fuel tank was installed. So my only option at this point is to use a 1 inch compression plug in the drain and hope no water enters the hatch from the deck lid. Again, poor design but I will make due with a plug and only place stuff in there that won't get damaged if it gets wet. Thanks again

Write down your hull identification number and call the factory.
They can tell you (by looking up the HIN) how yours was ordered and built.
If there is a valve somewhere, they can tell you where it is.

I rather doubt the factory would have built the boat to allow that space to fill with water at rest, unless someone asked for it that way.
I doubt that they would have built it that way even if someone asked for it!

Best thing to do would be to go to the source and ask.
252-728-5621

I agree with Kevin seems rather odd that Parker would build a boat that would allow water inside any hatch in the hull with out some type of shut off to prevent that, unless as noted the boat was ordered that way

Yeah, I agree with both of you. I will do that, I will call the factory with my hull number to see "whats up" with this variation. I will post the results after I hear back from them. Thanks again for the great advice.

Well, I just got off the phone with "Joe" from Parker, and I am a bit disappointed with what I found out. After doing some checking with other tech guys at the Parker factory, Joe told me the hold was meant to be a live well/ice hold. He said that if you choose to use it as a fish hold, then you leave the plug out and it fills with water when the boat is launched. And then, if you choose to go to another fishing spot, then you reach in the water (shoulder deep) and re-insert the plug as to prevent the water to escape when you are on plane. Then when you stop, you go back to the hold, stick your arm shoulder high in the water again and re-insert the plug. Conversely, if I choose to use it as an ice hold, I first put in the plug, put in all the ice (and hopefully dead fish) and then I am good to go. HOWEVER, when it comes time to drain this melted ice water, I either put my boat back on the trailer to allow drainage or I simply go back on plane, pull the plug and let the water drain out. Well, what if I am the only person on board fishing, how can I drive and pull the plug at the same time? Again, such a bad design, it makes no sense to me. Oh well, as I said before, I will merely keep it plugged and place stuff in there that won't be affected by water. Thanks again.

Hmm. I've always lamented about not having an in hull fish box. But, if this is what I have to go through to drain the ice, blood and whatever from the fish box, I guess I'll pass....

Im very surprised at that and wonder why my 2320 isnt set up that way because i have the same in deck box

Yes, the fish hold is quite large. I have to lay on the deck to put the plug in and the water line reaches my armpit. It can't be more that just a couple of inches above the hull itself.

Here are a few pics of how mine is set up, you can see in the first picture the drain at the bottom of the tank has no hose connection on it so any water that would get in there just drains into the bilge (not thrilled about that set up either) I may find a way to hook that up so it drains over the side. Then if you look at the over head picture of the hatch you can see the drain on the top now that is plumbed to drain over the side via a through hull. ( it was hard to get my camera in there to show the drain on that one)

Id like to see a few pictures of your set up just to compare

Attachments

• deck tank.JPG
    deck tank.JPG
    58.8 KB · Views: 333
  • deck tank2.JPG
    deck tank2.JPG
    31.7 KB · Views: 333
Glad you posted the pics. Mine is completely different than yours. Mine is much bigger and deeper with a brass drain right in the center. I will post pictures tonight when I get home from work. Thanks

Back