HDS GEN2 Touch 7-9-12

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've tried touch screens before. With wet fingers they suck. The finger prints would drive me insane too.

IMO, gimicky and doesn't really make it a better unit.

John I hear ya
That was one of my concerns with the touch screen
However it is nice how their integrating everything into the head unit
Makes it a lot easier to set thing up and less clutter in the boat
Here is more of a read on it

http://www.panbo.com/archives/2012/10/l ... luded.html

On another blog the stated

More on my mind was the back-up system; many modern units don’t have sufficient tactile back-ups, and when the seas kick up, those touch screens can become mighty hard to use. And while you can’t do each and every function with the five buttons running down the side of the unit, you can do everything you need to get home when you have to operate with your hand planted on the corner of the unit and a thumb prodding the buttons between waves. Thank you, Lowrance.

Read more: http://www.boats.com/blog/2012/10/marin ... z28CcevvxZ

The Lowrance grafix have always been to cartoonish to me. [Especially the bottom machine]

Another thing....If your making a advertising Vid.....Why wouldn't you use the largest unit to demo your product? [They used the smallest]

warthog5":dv966iu4 said:
The Lowrance grafix have always been to cartoonish to me. [Especially the bottom machine]

Another thing....If your making a advertising Vid.....Why wouldn't you use the largest unit to demo your product? [They used the smallest]

I would imagine that they are demoing the 7" unit because it is the only one that is currently available. The 12" unit isn't being shipped until (allegedly) December.

With regard to the comment that touch screens are "gimmicky"... Perhaps that could have been said ten years or so ago, when touch screens started showing up in all areas of the electronics market (computers, POS units, ATMs, smart phones, etc...). I think it's safe to say that touch screens are here to stay, and will soon become the norm, especially given the rate at which companies are releasing new products.

I agree..

Although I will like to see how it performs with wet hands
My smart phone is a pain is the keysta when my hands are wet
Although the unit looks nice and I like all the functions
I am interested in the 9 inch screen 12 is a little big for my 2120 and a little pricey
Although I wont pull the trigger till spring
I'm waiting to see what Garmin puts out I have a 2008C now and I have been happy with Garmin
Its just its going on 10 years and it will be time this spring for a upgrade

Back