Heavy stern, possible water logged, listing to starboard.

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sitka

Reaction score
Not sure if this is the correct forum to post this so please advise. I've also searched this forum and contacted Parker Corp about this topic with no luck.

I have a 2006 Parker 2120, Deep V, with 150 Yamaha 4 stroke. I have had it since 2013 when i bought it with just 100 hours on it...pretty much brand new. Have loved the boat and use it year around in Sitka, Alaska.

In the last couple of years it seems to me to be heavier in the stern (can't get on step with same heavy load as before) and there is definitely a list to the starboard side evidenced by water pooling on deck in back corner and looking at stern at the water line. I have an 8 HP kicker on the port side. I have not added more weight to the boat in the last 2 years.

Could there be water trapped in the bilge? Could there be water absorbed into the hull? There are only a few minor dings in the hull gel coat, but not into fiberglass below. Can you think of any other possibilities for increased weight in the stern and off to the starboard or am i just imagining it : (

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

I hear about the listing to one side fairly often. It does not take much weight on one side to cause this and it seems to be more prevalent in Pilot House boats. As for your question on water logging. Does it stay in the water or on a trailer? It is not likely there is water trapped below the deck but it is possible to get water intrusion into fiberglass when the gelcoat barrier is compromised. This would not likely be enough to be that noticeable unless the boat was moored in the water all the time and just soaked it up. Again, I doubt this is the issue. Have you done a compression check on your engine? Have you opened up all the round deck access ports and looked inside for any water? Are there any soft spots on the deck? When you tap the deck with something like a boat hook handle does it sound the same all over?

can't seem to figure out how to individually reply so i'll reply to all 3 so far.

first off - thanks so much for your replies! great info and i'll try all of the ideas listed so far.

Yes, it is in the harbor year around (should have mentioned that earlier)

Cockpit deck hatches - good idea - i will check those for leaks and look down inside for water.

engine compression - had it checked a year or 2 ago it was fine. I'm in the process of upgrading to a 200 (there's a year long waiting list i guess). The 150 is just too under-powered for what i do with the boat. If anyone has advice on repowering pass it on. I'm guessing the 200 will be what i want. same weight but more power.

deck soft spots - I haven't noticed any of these but the deck does seem to be settling/sagging in places. i'll do the sound testing as you described.

weigh the boat - i can do that and may do that if none of the above works. it's a little involved to get it to a weighing station here in Sitka.

thanks again for all the good advice!

Inside the pilotl house or cabin, do you have any deck hatch(es) on the floor. Open up and check for water. There should be drainage form the anchor rode locker to the aft bilge.

Maybe someone has a stringer diagram but there is space at the bottom of stringer to allow drainage to the aft which can clog with debris or stuff over time. I found cable ties tails, peices ofwires. hooks. coins, fish parts, fishing lines, bottle caps LOL

I have a 2006 as well and there isn’t a pie plate or hatch over that cabin bilge area on mine. They just put a small drain hole in the floor at the back edge of the cabin floor that allows water in the cabin to drain into. As Brent mentioned, there is a PVC line that runs from the anchor locker to that bulge compartment in the cabin, then it starts again at the back of the cabin bilge and it runs to just under the shelf in the bilge. See the attached pics I took of a 2320 Hull when I did a plant tour. The cabin and fuel tank sections along with the beginning of the aft bilge stringer system is basically identical to the 2120. The transom section is where the extra length of the 2320 is. Hope this helps. If you look closely at the whole Hill and center sections photos, you can see the stringer that sections off the cabin bilge right in front of the bulkhead before the tank compartment starts.

Attachments

• C0176814-9A45-4758-B5F7-8E3BA003FB91.jpeg
    C0176814-9A45-4758-B5F7-8E3BA003FB91.jpeg
    98.9 KB · Views: 538
  • 333999A0-65E2-47AF-A0E9-3D2C175C51AB.jpeg
    333999A0-65E2-47AF-A0E9-3D2C175C51AB.jpeg
    109.5 KB · Views: 533
  • 6217321D-83AE-4FDC-8AD2-95A25D5D068A.jpeg
    6217321D-83AE-4FDC-8AD2-95A25D5D068A.jpeg
    101.8 KB · Views: 532
  • CC996B21-C51B-4E32-81F1-E889505DD39B.jpeg
    CC996B21-C51B-4E32-81F1-E889505DD39B.jpeg
    104.8 KB · Views: 532
wow...thanks again for the great replies and info!

Cabin drain hole - as Shawnee mentioned, there is no hatch, just a drain hole. I thot about bilge water build up and will try to find out if that's the case altho i ruled it out early on since if figured it would really be smelling bad if that were the case.

Shawnee - thanks for much for the pics! those are very helpful. bet that was great getting a tour of the plant. The pics i believe help verify what a friend of mine said about there's no foam or similar material in the hull to absorb much water so that coupled with the fact that i only have minor dings in the gel coat, seems to rule out hull getting heavy through water aborption. so i'm back to trapped water somewhere else as has been covered earlier in posts. i'll do some digging around thru hatches with a flex camera and see what i can find. the pics really help with that

One more question -

i read somewhere (i believe in a post on this forum) that parker puts 500# of lead in the stern of their boats for ballast. if so, where is that located and is it really needed?

Sitka, Parker does put foam in some of those compartments between the stringers. As mentioned above, after the fuel tank is installed, they foam it in around the sides of it etc.. I don’t know if they foam in every void area in the stringer system but many of them. I think there are codes in the US about the boat being required to have enough floatation as not to sink if it’s under a certain length. As to the lead and 500 lbs of it at that in the stern, I’m pretty sure that is not done.

How about posting some pics of the deck sagging in places. If you can place a straight edge across these areas and get a pic so we can see what you are referring to would be helpful. Is your hull bottom painted? When was the last time it was hauled out?

I'm headed out of town for a couple days but will post a few pics of the deck when i get back .

thanks so much for all the posts/ideas. will be nice to trouble shoot this.

I have a 2005 2120 and I’m wondering why you’re considering a 200 HP when you repower? I also have the 150 HP and will go with the 225 (max rating for mine ) when I repower. Agree the 150 is underpowered.

Steve

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Steve -
I have a 150 Yamaha now and my Yamaha dealer/mechanic says the 200 Yamaha weighs the same and I can still use all the cables, controls, and gauges. Would love to have even more power but don't want the added weight or cost. but i'm open to suggestions. I have a 200 "on order" but it's likely to be another year before i can actually get it. Might be worth starting a new post topic on this unless it's already been discussed previously.

As to other suggestions on weight issues for my boat - i'm back in town and waiting for the break in the rain to go try some of the suggestions. Of course when the weather does break, i'll be too busy using the boat to work on it! : )

kent

Hey Sitka, just so you can get the best help, you should consider putting your location in your profile. A lot of times someone near you may respond, understand the water in your area, the weather, may know mechanics, dealers....... it just helps everyone here help you. Just a thought, good luck as I am very interested to learn why your stern appears heavy. I have a similar problem.
Kevin

Thanks Kevin. will do. great forum. lots of great help and info!

sitka":3fk5olbu said:
I have a 150 Yamaha now and my Yamaha dealer/mechanic says the 200 Yamaha weighs the same and I can still use all the cables, controls, and gauges. Would love to have even more power but don't want the added weight or cost.

Makes perfect sense.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/sZdG9xSVcM1izUXx9
sZdG9xSVcM1izUXx9

Not sure how to share photos : ( Tried pasting a link to a deck photo above but i don't think it worked. i also tried searching the forum on how to post photo but couldn't find any posts on this. Maybe someone could help with this.
Thanks

https://photos.app.goo.gl/sZdG9xSVcM1izUXx9

Back