HELP. 2007 Yamaha 200hp 4-stroke outboard questions

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sara F

Reaction score
To all my fellow shade-tree mechanics out there I have a question. When I winterized my boat last fall I had water coming out of the tell tale while running on muffs. I started the boat last night also on muffs. Ran the boat for over 5 minutes, engine temp never went above the center mark on my Yamaha command gauges. So, apparently it is getting water circulated throughout the power head. The issue, no water coming out of the tell tale. I popped the one end of the hose off where it exits the cowl and no blockage noted. I cant get my big fat hands on the end of the hose that goes to the block so i don’t know if the hose is blocked by sand, bug or other debris. Do you think I would hurt anything if i blew compressed air through the hose back toward the engine block to dislodge anything that may be causing the blockage? BTW, I did see some drips occasionally out of the tell tale but not a steady stream by any account.

Also, does this engine have a poppet valve and if so where is it located. Could that be part of my issue? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Poppet valve helps keep water in power head in low rpms like under 1500 rpm then opens in higher rpms. If you are getting over heat alarms, replace thermostats first . Good idea to replace them when replacing the water pump. If still over heats, then look at poppet valve which unscrews by hand.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Brent, thanks for the reply. The engine is not over heating. So, by your description of the poppet valve that may be my issue. I have never changed it. May be it is clogged. So to access it i need to remove the covers on the mid-section, correct?

Brent, well I decided to blow some compressed air through the tell tail back towards the block. There was a little resistance at first then no resistance. I hooked up the muffs, started the engine and she pissed like a race horse. It is so gratifying when you can solve the issue without a mechanic (not that mechanics are bad), but the more I can figure out and fix myself just makes me a better boater. Thanks for your help, suggestions and well wishes. Now i just have to get out and fish. Take care and thanks again!!!

Back