HELP Cabin Carpet Removal

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dadsdayoff2

Reaction score
Manokin River, Chesapeake Bay /Roxborough, PA.
I started ripping out 20 year old cabin carpet today, what a mess. I was hoping I would be able to paint areas that had carpet covering with minimum prep, looks like I was wrong! Has anyone else taken on this project and if so can you share your technique? Thanks, Ken

This is what it looks like 😢
I have already done my cabin ceiling and am now in the process of doing all of it including the v-berth, although I am replacing the hull liner (carpet) and not painting. I have a strong suspicion that most of the "stains" we are experiencing in our cabin hull liners are from the red colored glue Parker used and over the years it dries up and bleeds through to the front side. What I did was grind as much of the glue as I could and then I rolled on a thin layer of resin to seal up the remaining glue. When I installed my new headliner I used 3m clear all purpose upholstery spray glue. I did my inside ceiling about 3 years ago and it still looks new.

I started ripping out 20 year old cabin carpet today, what a mess. I was hoping I would be able to paint areas that had carpet covering with minimum prep, looks like I was wrong! Has anyone else taken on this project and if so can you share your technique? Thanks, Ken
It is very nasty work; I went with 1/2 inch beaded pvc; very happy with it. 1444B656-5E7A-4022-96EE-CD249E0A584D.jpeg

I have already done my cabin ceiling and am now in the process of doing all of it including the v-berth, although I am replacing the hull liner (carpet) and not painting. I have a strong suspicion that most of the "stains" we are experiencing in our cabin hull liners are from the red colored glue Parker used and over the years it dries up and bleeds through to the front side. What I did was grind as much of the glue as I could and then I rolled on a thin layer of resin to seal up the remaining glue. When I installed my new headliner I used 3m clear all purpose upholstery spray glue. I did my inside ceiling about 3 years ago and it still looks new.
Where did you get the fabric?

Thanks for responding, new carpet may be easier than what I was thinking. Ken

I posted regarding this several months ago. Finished removing carpet from my 2005 2320 this past winter. Removed all outside rails from cabin and wheel house. removed lights, wipers, and port windows in cabin. Removed inside frames from cabin hatch, anchor locker, and wheel house windows. After ripping out carpet I scraped entire surface w/ a inch and half wood chisel. I then sprayed w/ 3m marine adhesive remover and scrubbed with a brush. Did this in sections and also, you need tho wear a mask with the spray. I then hit entire surface w/ 40 grit sand paper. Wiped down with acetone, faired the wire ways in wheel house along with a couple of other rough spots. I then applied two coats of gel coat. I am pleased with it I hated the carpet. I will post a couple of before and after pics.

After posting that yesterday, I called J&J auto fabrics. They said the would be getting a shipment of that hull liner in withing the next few days.
Before replacing the hull liner, watch a couple YouTube videos. They were quite helpful. The great thing is the hull liner is very forgiving and easy to work with.

After posting that yesterday, I called J&J auto fabrics. They said the would be getting a shipment of that hull liner in withing the next few days.
Before replacing the hull liner, watch a couple YouTube videos. They were quite helpful. The great thing is the hull liner is very forgiving and easy to work with.
I've worked on boats all my life but I 'm really not excited about this overhead work. I will wait till it cools off. I plan on just doing the ceiling breaking the seam around the corners at the edges. I can do the sides maybe next year but I will have to remove seats-etc Thanks again-John

The liner used by parker is called monkey hair. Or monkey fur. Depending on who u talk to. Cheap and very forgiving material. However it stains and holds mold way to easy.

I posted regarding this several months ago. Finished removing carpet from my 2005 2320 this past winter. Removed all outside rails from cabin and wheel house. removed lights, wipers, and port windows in cabin. Removed inside frames from cabin hatch, anchor locker, and wheel house windows. After ripping out carpet I scraped entire surface w/ a inch and half wood chisel. I then sprayed w/ 3m marine adhesive remover and scrubbed with a brush. Did this in sections and also, you need tho wear a mask with the spray. I then hit entire surface w/ 40 grit sand paper. Wiped down with acetone, faired the wire ways in wheel house along with a couple of other rough spots. I then applied two coats of gel coat. I am pleased with it I hated the carpet. I will post a couple of before and after pics.
I am anxious to see the pics. I am ready to remove the carpet from my 2003 2520 open back cabin. thanks.

I really wished Parker would not use that carpet/monkey fur. It’s nasty; and it’s subject to staining; and it’s just seems like a major health hazard. That’s why I went to PVC in my pilot house; I put half inch solid beaded PVC In my pilot house; and waterproof flooring on my pilot house wall where my door is. Given all the materials for PVC flooring, it really warmed up my cabin for style and look and utility.

Attachments

• B59BF249-92F8-4C58-B038-1A4D54F21191.jpeg
    B59BF249-92F8-4C58-B038-1A4D54F21191.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 94
Would also like to see how that turned out

I really wished Parker would not use that carpet/monkey fur. It’s nasty; and it’s subject to staining; and it’s just seems like a major health hazard. That’s why I went to PVC in my pilot house; I put half inch solid beaded PVC In my pilot house; and waterproof flooring on my pilot house wall where my door is. Given all the materials for PVC flooring, it really warmed up my cabin for style and look and utility.

Can you give a link to the material you used, please? I don’t recall seeing that product before.

Attached are my before and after photos of my project, as "dads day" said its pretty rough under the carpet. As you can see the gelcoat I used is a not classic parker gelcoat. I was unable to get their gelcoat through my dealer when I was ready, due to covid. The dealer gave me a company who made gelcoat for just about every boat manufacturer in the US. Their website claimed they had it at $334.00 a gallon. Thought that was ridiculous, I used Sea Hawk mad hatter white gel coat at $85.00 a gallon. Took 21/2 gallons. I guess I think white is white, its a fishing boat and the interior in my truck is not the same color as the either. The gel coat is easy to wipe down and is almost bullet proof.

Attachments

• IMG_0821.JPG
    IMG_0821.JPG
    318 KB · Views: 173
  • IMG_0820.JPG
    IMG_0820.JPG
    245.2 KB · Views: 167
  • IMG_0822.JPG
    IMG_0822.JPG
    165.1 KB · Views: 175
  • IMG_0832.JPG
    IMG_0832.JPG
    290.5 KB · Views: 203
  • IMG_0834.JPG
    IMG_0834.JPG
    230.9 KB · Views: 192
  • IMG_0835.JPG
    IMG_0835.JPG
    174.2 KB · Views: 195
  • IMG_0833.JPG
    IMG_0833.JPG
    195.5 KB · Views: 194
H3018, that is a terrific prep job. The final finish looks great as well. Did you spray it on? Do you notice any difference in the cabin with engine noise? I figured they carpeted the wheelhouse and cabin to deaden the noise.

Thank you Bill, the gel coat was brushed in the corners and rolled on the flat. I am fortunate to have a son and his buddy who are pretty good with fiber glass and gel coat. I prepped it and they did the fairing and finishing. Yes there is a bit more noise. I notice the chop hitting the bow more than engine noise. We can still talk to one another without shouting. My Parker has the open back in the wheel house, (drop curtains, no door) so it might have been noisier than a closed back to begin with.

Latest posts

Back