HELP Cabin Carpet Removal

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I used Topside Primer (from Total Boat). Comes in white & grey. Easy to work with.

Thanks for the kind words.
I built the overhead chase from Starboard material (color Seafoam). Making that piece wasn’t easy, a lot of angles and bends to deal with. The corner pillars are built from PVC, painted with Hatteras off white which matches well. Also removed & tuned up wiper motors, then painted to match.

When I bought the boat it had a lot of open air antenna coax and other wire on the overhead and running down the pillars. I cleaned that up by rerouting those wires thru the new chase. I’m amazed that Parker never incorporated something similar years ago.

The overhead will also serve as a place to mount one of my two VHF’s, and a 10” MFD. And I don’t have any overhead clearance issues.
Very nice! Professional looking improvements!

@StrayDog, that is some really amazing custom interior work. I’m impressed! Really cleans up the overall look of the pilothouse.

I, too am amazed that Parker seems to completely neglect the forward corners and the forward overhead portion of the pilothouse- which are the obvious paths for rigging! Doing a radar install on a ‘21 2120, I had to run the cable aft along the bulkhead, up the stbd aft corner chase, over to the centerline chase, then back up the center to the mounting point. Then I had to mount the thing working through the 5” hole that’s the only access to that area; had bruises on my wrists for weeks. Your mods would have made that job the 2 hour job it should have been!

Really nice work.

DCCE1C26-1471-4675-89F7-7DF87729A2DB.jpegB09D5F21-3EA5-42EE-9CC6-BC0D5D5BF6D8.jpegC210422F-B83E-4422-9C4A-81200CBF687E.jpeg
Progress Report:
Wifey and I started prepping/stripping most of the glue on the port side and headliner of the cabin. It is definitely not easy work but it is necessary. We will be back at it on Monday. 🤙🏽

Attachments

• B5B06953-F548-4856-BD2A-2BBAFE16AB79.jpeg
    B5B06953-F548-4856-BD2A-2BBAFE16AB79.jpeg
    4.3 MB · Views: 3
  • 5E6B0A73-77D1-4004-81BE-0E05CBD9F06C.jpeg
    5E6B0A73-77D1-4004-81BE-0E05CBD9F06C.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 1
Are you painting it with epoxy paint for the refinish?

I completed this project couple of years ago on a 2320. Pictures are posted on page 1 of this thread. If you removed the screws on the outside of the port and starboard windows under the rubber gasket, the inside frame will come right off. Also the frames can be removed from the front windows from the inside. Makes removing carper from under those frames much easier. I did this ,then put them back after gel coating and have had no leaks. Just a suggestion.

I completed this project couple of years ago on a 2320. Pictures are posted on page 1 of this thread. If you removed the screws on the outside of the port and starboard windows under the rubber gasket, the inside frame will come right off. Also the frames can be removed from the front windows from the inside. Makes removing carper from under those frames much easier. I did this ,then put them back after gel coating and have had no leaks. Just a suggestion.
Lol I'm just seeing some of these posts go back yrs. Lol. Just joined the group last week. Just getting up to speed. Good info to have. Thanks for the explanation

If you haven't seen this video. He rips out his carpet and paints the cabin.

I’ve seen this video both the prep/paint. It just puzzles me how this guy didn’t have to do hardly any prep-work, possibly cuz his boat is newer.
I’ve removed most hardware but will leave the windows intact for now. I used a carpet cutter to trim the carpeting around the window frames. I used a little torch lighter to burn off the excess carpet fibers left behind. I may tackle removal of windows at a later time.

I'd say that's why. Figure it's not baked on glues probably still kinda fresh. Think his boat is a 2020 or 2021..in that area. And figure older the boat. Carpet gets brindle and I'm sure it's a pain in the butt to get to come off the way he did.

@StrayDog, that is some really amazing custom interior work. I’m impressed! Really cleans up the overall look of the pilothouse.

I, too am amazed that Parker seems to completely neglect the forward corners and the forward overhead portion of the pilothouse- which are the obvious paths for rigging! Doing a radar install on a ‘21 2120, I had to run the cable aft along the bulkhead, up the stbd aft corner chase, over to the centerline chase, then back up the center to the mounting point. Then I had to mount the thing working through the 5” hole that’s the only access to that area; had bruises on my wrists for weeks. Your mods would have made that job the 2 hour job it should have been!

Really nice work.
Pelagic / Andy / Goni
Thanks for comments.
I know what you mean about the bruises and scrapes from trying to fish wires around. The overhead wall-to-wall chase and the corner pedestal tubes have made adding electrical devices & wiring changes far easier.

if You ever get interested in building something similar get in touch. I have a lot of pictures and can help with how to avoid the potholes along the way.

Basic tools needed:
• Table saw
• 10” sliding miter saw
• Router, preferably table mounted
• Band saw
• Time & patience

Pelagic / Andy / Goni
Thanks for comments.
I know what you mean about the bruises and scrapes from trying to fish wires around. The overhead wall-to-wall chase and the corner pedestal tubes have made adding electrical devices & wiring changes far easier.

if You ever get interested in building something similar get in touch. I have a lot of pictures and can help with how to avoid the potholes along the way.

Basic tools needed:
• Table saw
• 10” sliding miter saw
• Router, preferably table mounted
• Band saw
• Time & patience
I would love to build what what you did; and I have all the tools, (except #5-B ☺).

I somehow missed the early posts about the cost of the line-x, but DANG.
I remember they have to use the tape containing the SS wire so the lines can be cut from the overspray. Picture doing that around every window.
I still think it could be done by pulling all the trim, furniture, handles and windows prior to taking it to them. A monumental task for sure, before and after spraying.

I have a strong suspicion that most of the "stains" we are experiencing in our cabin hull liners are from the red colored glue Parker used and over the years it dries up and bleeds through to the front side.
Was the glue really red? I see the same red on the bottom of my floor above the gas tank. I took this pic to make sure plywood was sealed.IMG_20220703_200652065.jpg

Was the glue really red? I see the same red on the bottom of my floor above the gas tank. I took this pic to make sure plywood was sealed.View attachment 36274
This is the resin that seals the plywood. Kinda looks reddish/orangish? This picture is of the bottom of the floor in the cuddy-cabin.... As Bodick93 mentioned. Could it be that the 'red' bleeding through to the 'carpet is the same resin that's used to seal the plywood?

1682129510587.png
And here's a shot of another compartment;
1682130051434.png

Last edited:
View attachment 36202View attachment 36203View attachment 36204View attachment 36205View attachment 36206
Paint complete and put together most of it. Much better than the nasty carpet that was in there before. Now a few other things related to electronics to be ready for the season! Also upgraded to a newer helm chair and seaspension pedestal!
View attachment 36202View attachment 36203View attachment 36204View attachment 36205View attachment 36206
Paint complete and put together most of it. Much better than the nasty carpet that was in there before. Now a few other things related to electronics to be ready for the season! Also upgraded to a newer helm chair and seaspension pedestal!
Wow really nice work. It looks great! I am in the process of doing the same on my 05 2520 XL. Carpet and glue removed last fall and applied one coat of EZ prime. Going to resume work shortly with another coat of primer to be followed by the topcoat. Curious as to what color/brand of paint you used for the topcoat?

Wow really nice work. It looks great! I am in the process of doing the same on my 05 2520 XL. Carpet and glue removed last fall and applied one coat of EZ prime. Going to resume work shortly with another coat of primer to be followed by the topcoat. Curious as to what color/brand of paint you used for the topcoat?
Thanks bro, I used Total Boat-Wet Edge Top Side Paint and I also used their primer. Picked it up on Amazon. For the primer I just went with white, and for the topside paint I went with Hatteras Off White. The Hatteras Off White matched my boat color perfectly.

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    422.2 KB · Views: 0
Back