HELP Cabin Carpet Removal

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I must be whacked. I do not mind my carpet, liked it the first time I saw it.
I too 'like' the carpet; I don't 'love' it. It's harder to keep clean than just plain, bare gel-coat and/or painted fiberglass, but it adds a nice sound-deadening benefit, and is less likely to sweat/condense moisture when running in cold weather.... It's a cost-saving way to build; Parker and others just do it to save money. It is in no way considered a 'premium' feature on a boat. In the 1970's-1980's some cheaper boat builders used a cheaper type of the 'carpet' that was generally referred to as 'bunny fur'.... because, well it looked and felt like 'bunny fur'!

I can add to the furry story, a bit.

I actually feel fine with the carpet. The color. My one prior was another make's '86 22' after cabin, older but luxury blue down below and in non- vinyl cushions. But it was too small and more, I could not wait to switch it out.

Before that for a short time had a many owner traikerable coastal sailboat from the early 70s. Interior was laid out nice but one had done the interior in a rusty maroon with less focus on detail.. ... it was an out of business brand but I found a paper printout it. When new you could pick from 3 shag colors!!

I must be whacked. I do not mind my carpet, liked it the first time I saw it.
Wait until it looks like mangy donkey fur & smells like roadkill. I couldn't take it anymore. My '94 looks so much cleaner inside now but it was definitely not a fun project.

I am still admiring a '96! To each his own. Still looks beyond good.

But I understand the thought of carpet and boats.

Well I finally finished my carpet removal and paint job of the pilot house of my 04 2520 XL and I just want to thank everyone on this amazing thread that has been so helpful. You all gave me the confidence to tackle this job. The glue removal was by far the worst part. I used wood chisels and a grinder with an 80 grit flap disc. Chemical removal did not work at all. It just made a gooey mess. Wearing a good quality respirator is really important. Anyway once the glue was removed, I wiped down the surface thoroughly with acetone and Pettit 120 thinner. I rolled/painted on two coats of Pettit EZ Prime and then finished with two coats of Pettit Hatteras Off-white Easy Poxy. I am very please with the final result. So clean and fresh. I hope this info is helpful to anyone attempting this job and thanks again to all. Much appreciated. Some pics attached. Any questions, happy to help.

Attachments

• IMG_3834.jpeg
    IMG_3834.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 5
  • IMG_3932.jpeg
    IMG_3932.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 5
  • IMG_3931.jpeg
    IMG_3931.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 6
  • IMG_0072.jpeg
    IMG_0072.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 4
  • IMG_0071.jpeg
    IMG_0071.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 2
  • IMG_0070.jpeg
    IMG_0070.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 6
I searched for a VERY long time to find a carpet (hull liner) that was an exact match to the original hull liner Parker used. When I started that project I wasnt sure I was gonna do more than the cabin ceiling, so matching it was very important to me.
I just went on the website of where I bought it, they are out of stock right now.
Here is a link:
https://jjautofabrics.com/rontex-marine-hull-liner-sand-blend-72-sold-by-the-continuous-yard/
Hey Warren, reviving your post from a few years ago. How many yards of this did you need? I'm about to get into the project and weighing my options on whether to re-carpet or to paint. Thanks!

Lou

Hi Lou, I guess it kind of depends on how much of your boat you are planning to do, and is it a 2320, 2520....? The difficult areas to do and come out looking professional and clean are the areas that require a seam. The cabin area is pretty straight forward, because the way I did it there are only a few very short (1"-2") seams. Try to plan it out so and seams you have are as short as possible. In the photo I am attaching, you will see how I placed the seam in a very short area.
If you plan to do the v-berth, the sidewalls are very easy. The ceiling is tricky since it has a big seam all the way across it, and if not done right it will show out like a sore thumb. I hired an upholstery guy to do my lid after realizing it was more difficult than I thought it would be.
When I started my project, I wasn't planning to do the v-berth, so I tried very hard to match the original hull liner. If I had it to do over again, and knew I was gonna do the entire interior, I wouldn't be so concerned with matching the original material. I would be more concerned with finding a material that came in wider rolls to eliminate the seam on the v-berth lid. I think I would also try to find something slightly darker, to not show dirt.
To answer your question though, you will need to measure the width of you Cabin lid and ad maybe 20%. You can use the same dimension for the back wall and side walls.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240303_141623_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20240303_141623_Gallery.jpg
    899.2 KB · Views: 6
Thanks bro, I used Total Boat-Wet Edge Top Side Paint and I also used their primer. Picked it up on Amazon. For the primer I just went with white, and for the topside paint I went with Hatteras Off White. The Hatteras Off White matched my boat color perfectly.
Hey Gobbi, revisiting this thread like I do every year and was leaning toward going back with the carpet but now after seeing the pics of the painted interior I'll think I'll go that route. How many gallons of each did you go through? Thanks!

Lou

Hey Gobbi, revisiting this thread like I do every year and was leaning toward going back with the carpet but now after seeing the pics of the painted interior I'll think I'll go that route. How many gallons of each did you go through? Thanks!

Lou
One gallon of primer and one gallon of paint should be sufficient for two coats of each.

Back