Help me decide?!?

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KG

Reaction score
First I want to say "Great Website"! I need some advice on buying my first Parker...been waiting a while for this moment!
Below are my questions:
1.) Is the ride that much better b/w the 16 & 21 degree deadrise?
2.) I am in limbo as to a walkaround or sport cabin, does the sport cabin get too warm?
3.) Does the "full transom" or extended transom have any effect on the handling of the vessel, such as backing down and does the roster tail climb over the engine when reducing speed (coming off of plane)?

I live in Maine, love to fish the rivers and offshore, sure would love some advice. Thanks!

Yes
No
Sometimes

:D

Seriously, I know this is your first post and Welcome. All of your questions are very common and the search feature will be your best friend for the next few weeks.

I would go Deep Vee, Pilothouse with a Bracket. 8)

I can only comment on the heat question. I was out yesterday with my 2120 SC with 4 others. It was more of a boating event than fishing and we were motoring back to the dock when one of the passengers poked his head in to the cabin and said "It must be 20 degrees cooler in here".

Even at rest it is cooler than sitting in the direct sun.

I currently own a Wellcraft Coastal w/ the full transom and the water has actually gone into the engine cover vent, coming off of plane. I really have been disapointed with this and also the handling of the vessel is poor due to this transom.
A local dealer has a 2520XL I am looking at but the transom issue has me scared.....but I hate to compare a Wellcraft to a Parker?
I need a sea trial run I guess? Plus from what I am reading on here, the XLD is a far better ride?

KG":1d4t6luy said:
A local dealer has a 2520XL I am looking at but the transom issue has me scared.....but I hate to compare a Wellcraft to a Parker?

I need a sea trial run I guess? Plus from what I am reading on here, the XLD is a far better ride?
I don't run a deep-V Parker but can surely see why a motor behind a deep-V hull could get swamped if/when coming off plane "too fast". That said, some OB deep-V boats use 30" leg motors to raise the powerhead up higher so to prevent this from happening. Another thing, IMHO most dealers mount the OBs way too freakin' deep on the hull! I run my OBs as high as I can mount them, using premium wheels to keep me hooked up.

Sea trial is definitely in order! "Ride" is all in perspective, if you're running off the coast of Maine all the time where chop to seas is order of the day ... get the deep-V.

One tip on full transom boats, trim the motor UP whenever at headway speed and whilst backing down. In reverse this puts the thrust under the hull and in forward, this reduces drag and you get much better response having the prop bite in clean water. I tell you, I just switched to a 4-blade PowerTech prop and she makes the boat feel like she has 4WD at all speeds! Incredible bite and response!

Good luck and please join us here if you buy, or even if you don't. Cheers!

The notched transom on theDV is never an issue, backing down or stopping fast. I've been doing it since 99 in all sorts of situations. Remember it is a 30 inch.

However you cant beat the the extra storage, space and the dive swim platform you get with the bracket.

If I had an extra 5K kicking around I would fill in the back, build a live well in the transom an put on a bracket.

I have a 2520XL in South Florida. Opened up, it is much cooler in the pilot house with far less sun exposure. I actually feel sorry sometimes for the guys out in their more "open" boats - some of them look pretty red! :oops:

I have a 2310 walkaround, deep vee with a transom. For me I chose this model because of:
Deep vee - better ride in chop
Full transom- more storage and less worry about following seas.
Walkaround - Better visibility than sport cabin because elevated helm rather than step down. Open to air and breeze in hot Chesapeake sun. Cabin is enclosed and bunks slightly larger than Sport cabin. Wife felt too claustophic in Sport Cabin. Still warm and cozy in fall and winter with drop curtains. In fact just front and sides work fine in late fall striper fishing.

But to each his own and you cant go wrong with a Parker.

My 2520sc is in the water 'til the third week of December. We sometimes use a small alcohol heater banked down as low as possible in the cabin and appreciate the solid walls and windows. The adenalin rush of a striper on the line keeps us comfortable, but the cabin is a warm haven in the late fall temperatures for the time between hook-ups and the trip back to the marina.

december

Full transom and bracket: Safety. a wave really has trouble getting over a full transom, vs. cut out. Kids and dogs have built in barrier from engine and back of boat, a true 23' of boat not 23' and then lose 3 feet to engine cut out, Roomy back deck, transom area. Bracket can help in landing fish.
Rooster Tail: when slowing down, trim tab bow down(lifting stern) and trim engine back to down, this cuts the tail action down to a minimal. I do this with out any change in factory prop or tab size. Deep V is the way to go for what I do. Had a shallow V, never again!!! Parker has a good balance of beam and V angle.
Cabin: can not comment.

I have recieved great info from all of you on this site. Thanks!
My wife and I are looking at and leaning towards the 2520XL SC. I would love more input about this model. I was out lobstering this morning in pretty nasty conditions when a 23'footer cruised by and the operator seemed quite comfortable and dry! Give me more input on the 2520XL, Thanks everyone!

Back