Help Prevent Your AFI Dual Trumpet Horns From Failing!

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MaxOut

Reaction score
I know this is an old topic and have discussed in he past but has come up again and I decided to post pictures of what fixed mine (or prevented them from failing again).

Initially when I purchased the Parker the horns failed right away. On the first service the dealer replaced them under warranty and told me it was common for them to go bad even before the boat was sold. Sure enough they went bad again and the dealer replaced them again doing nothing to determine what was causing them to fail only replace until out of warranty the charge...

So, coming out of warranty I wanted these to last so I determined the cause of the problem was two fold-

Problem - The horns would get water in them that interterfered with and would eventually destroy the diaphragm.

First- They are generally in a rear ward tilt when at way, mooring and tailoring.

Second-The water has no way to exit once it inters and is trapped in with the diaphragm because of the horns shape.

This is what I did.

First I drilled two little holes 1/8" in the bottom of the horns right before the trumpet meets the driver. This allows any water to exit before it gets to the driver and does not effect operation. This alone was not enough for driving rain while moving forward.

Second I had the stainless mounts remanufactured to elevate the rear & forward mount and created a forward tilt. I also had the drivers mounted side by side so to complement the swooped back angle of the P/H top as apposed to having the front of the horns even. The brackets were also designed to mount on existing holes in P/H top.

This has resolved the problem so far and added a little custom touch. I polished the brackets to match the trumpets. The friend of mine who made these saved the template in his plasma cutter and could easily make more. Send me a PM if you are interested.

SEE PICTURES-

Attachments

• DSCF2087.JPG
    DSCF2087.JPG
    102.6 KB · Views: 470
  • DSCF2079.JPG
    DSCF2079.JPG
    101 KB · Views: 469
  • DSCF2081.JPG
    DSCF2081.JPG
    102.8 KB · Views: 469
That is sweet!
Very nice!

How much for the brackets?
I'd be interested.

Nice job. After my 3rd failed, I had a buddy of mine cut a piece of starboard with the same foorprint as that rear bracket. The forward bracket allows it to swivel a good deal, so I was able to get a good downward angle on the horns. Goin on the 3rd season now and so far, so good.

Back