Help Squeal in yamaha 200 hp 4 stroke

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sara F

Reaction score
I have been hearing a squeal in my yamaha 200 hp 4 stroke engine at low rpm. it sounds like a belt squeal. I know there is a timing belt, could that be loose? I have about 300 hours on the engine. can this belt be tightened? Also is it hard to replace?

Phil,
It's not a belt squealing. When the lower unit is pulled to replace the water pump, put some waterproof grease on the shaft just below the splines that go up into the powerhead. There is a rubber bushing that the shaft rides on that gets dry and makes the squeal that you're hearing.

Charlie
Eden, Maryland

charlie, thanks i frgot to mention in my post that I did grease the splines in the spring when i replaced the water pump. could it be dry again?

Yes, make sure you use a good water proof grease. The area that runs in the bushing is down the shaft from the splines. Also look up in the housing toward the bushing. Make sure it hasn't come loose. I actually purchased one as a spare for the F200 I had. I believe I still have it.

Charlie

Charlie, thanks. It looks like I'll be droping the lower unit again to grease the bearing and splines. When I did it in the spring my Yamaha dealer sold me some special Yamaha grease for that area. The "squeal" drives me crazy. If I can get ride of the squeal, droping the lower unit will be worth the effort.

Sara F":1v5429v8 said:
It looks like I'll be droping the lower unit again to grease the bearing and splines. When I did it in the spring my Yamaha dealer sold me some special]/b] Yamaha grease for that area.

That would be a molybdenum disulfide grease; extremely slippery with added protection against wear in severe service uses.

Just NEVER put any grease on the TOP of the driveshaft ... you'll never get it apart if you do, due to a hydro-lock ...

Back