Help with a Radar Install -- Where to Locate the Display

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sara F

Reaction score
Hope this makes sense....I have a 2120 Pilot house (2007 Model). I am currently installing a radar, Pathfinder SL72, and I was looking for options on where to place the display. The top of my dash is already occupied with my chartplotter and depthfined. Flush mounting in the console is not an option either because of wiring and a fuse panel on the backside of the console. I Have two radios mounted above the Starboard window. I was wondering if any other 2120 owners have mounted the radar display from the ceiling, just left of center, and if so does it block your view much looking out of the port window? Any and all suggestions are welcomed. Pictures of installs would be beneficial as well. Also, does anyone have a mounting bracket (yoke) for a Raymarine Pathfinder SL72 (wiodth 8 1/8" x 5.0" deep). My friend who donated the radar to me did not have the original bracket (yoke) and it is one hard item to locate. Thanks!

My father in law has an 03 2120 and his radar display is located to the left of the helm side front window, I have ran his boat and i am 6'3 and it does not obstruct my view

miky2884":20bu4xsg said:
My father in law has an 03 2120 and his radar display is located to the left of the helm side front window, I have ran his boat and i am 6'3 and it does not obstruct my view

Mike, thanks for the response. Just to clarify, is the display mounted tot he ceiling or is it on top of the console?

Ceiling Right
So it only blocks the corner post
when you sit in the chair you have unobstructed view everywhere
Also If someone get up from under cuddie fast they dont hit head on it
Ceiling is not that low but with the display hanging down it is

Attachments

• Dashclose.JPG
    Dashclose.JPG
    108.5 KB · Views: 282
Bryan 2530":3c918dnr said:
Ceiling. Right between the windows.
That's where mine is mounted too, suspended from the roof. Whereas the starboard side of the vessel is the DANGER side or where YOU need to give way ... this gives me a free and clear sight thru the starboard helm and starboard-side windows. Truthfully, it doesn't block my port-side window much either, but I'm on a 2520 model.

I bet you could fashion a DIY mount bracket out of 1/8" aluminum strip quickly.

I personally would mount it between the windows vs. where Sully mounted his ...

Dale, Sully, Bryan & Mikey, thanks for the feedback. I think dead-center between the windows is the best option for me and that is where I will mout it. Thanks again! :D

Sara F":3bvtk0z9 said:
I think dead-center between the windows is the best option for me and that is where I will mout it. Thanks again! :D
Doh ... but heed's Sully's experience with a 2120 model ... as that doesn't have the full-wdith helm/dash. On my boat, there's that helm cover straight across the boat - from port to starboard.

But on the 2120 it is wide open, so someone could clock their head on the display ...

I will take a pic of my father inlaws and post it so you can get a better idea, in the center of the windows is a good spot in my oppinion based on my experience running his boat.

Wanted to update my fellow Parker owners on the Radar install. It is finally in and operational. I decided to mount it where the interior light used to be (center of two windows). It seemed to be the best place after all and does not block my view from the helm seat. Hardest part of the install was stuffing about 20+ feet of raydome cable in the ceiling. It was like stuffing 20 pounds of crap in a 5 pound bucket. Here are some pics of the final install.

Attachments

• Sara F - Radar Install (1).JPG
    Sara F - Radar Install (1).JPG
    34.9 KB · Views: 222
  • Sara F - Radar Install (2).JPG
    Sara F - Radar Install (2).JPG
    37 KB · Views: 222
did you bolt it in or use screws? I was thinking about doing the same thing but am weary of screws. If I use bolts, not sure how I would tighten them.

Tex, I through bolted with lock nuts and large fender washers. I drilled a 4" (hole-saw) hole in the ceiling of cabin so I could access the bolts and add the washers and nuts. My year Parker (2007) has a raised portion in the roof (can been seen in photos) so I had plenty of room to install the washers, nuts and to tighten everything with an open-end wrench. Tip 1: add little chaulk to the back of the washer to hold it in place until you can start the nut. I covered the 4" hole in the ceiling with the interior light fixture; which I had to move from its original location. Tip 2: Cut the cieling carpet away before drilling the hole it makes it alot easier. Hope this helps and is not too confusing. If you want to discuss PM and I will send you my cell phone number and we can discuss directly. The install wasn't too difficult and it turned out pretty good. Good luck!

I hope you used a lot of 5200 on any of the wiring and bolts entering the pilot house, , I dont want to see you end up with the problem my father inlaw discovered. Product of a sloppy install by the previous owner they used the wrong bolts and never sealed anything.

Attachments

• 2120 project4.jpg
    2120 project4.jpg
    131.9 KB · Views: 154
  • 2120 project5.JPG
    2120 project5.JPG
    88.1 KB · Views: 183
miky2884":zlnoolzz said:
I hope you used a lot of 5200 on any of the wiring and bolts entering the pilot house, , I dont want to see you end up with the problem my father inlaw discovered. Product of a sloppy install by the previous owner they used the wrong bolts and never sealed anything.

Miky, thanks for the heads-up, appreciate it. And yes, I thoroughly protected all of the holes drilled through the roof with epoxy and with a good marine chaulk. Believe me, this wasn't my first rodeo.....LOL 8)

Thanks, I have already installed my dome but I am still a little confused on how you mounted the head unit . do you happen to have a pic? Thanks

Mike, sorry I did get back to you sooner. I was in Baltimore, MD for the last 9 days with the Coast Guard Auxiliary. We took a refurbished CG 44 MLB down to Baltimore to assist wth the Bicentennial Celebration of the War of 1812 and the Sailabration. Great Trip! I will take a pic for you tomorrow. I actually mounted the display where my cabin (ceiling light) used to be.

Back