Help with fishing the mid bay Thanksgiving weekend

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rangerdog

Reaction score
I usually go out from Deale on the Thanksgiving weekend but usually with not much success. Most of the fish have moved south. Anyone have any pointers for that time of year or places to look? I usually wind up at the Power Plant. Would any flounder be at the Target Ships then?

I'm not sure about the flounder but my birthday is around Thanksgiving and every year I fish my birthday with good success out of Solomon’s Island for Striped Bass. Usually by the first or second week of December I will head to Point Lookout. I primarily troll larger Parachutes and 9"-12" shads all double rigged and some umbrellas. Hit me with a PM and I will let you know how I am doing. I will start trolling the big stuff starting Halloween. If you are interested to see what I do I usually have room. I'm not big on posting my fishing stories on here but have pretty good luck. :wink:

The rock fish will be found anywhere from th'Lumps' in the James River to the CBBT at that time. Wire lineing or draging baits around the James River Bridge, M&M, HRBT, or CBBT will bring success. Watch for birds working over structure or channel brakes. The flounder are starting to move to the mouth of the bay. That time of the year you may find some around the Cape Henry Wreck and the deep channel cuts near there. There may not be many but your chance of catching a big flattie, if you get a bite , is good.

Thanksgiving is good for trolling the big baits for migratory bass as Maxxout stated! Big fish should be here in the bay providing bait is around. If not I will run south to solomons or PLO. I will be fishing the fall MSSA tournament the weekend before and maybe able to give you a report.

Eeling at dusk will work well too. suspend them at various depths under bobbers around structure. It is like fishing with worms as a kid.

I fish from Deale and do very well around Thanksgiving.....no need to run to the PP. Fish are right out front.....start at 81A, point towards the 82, when you get there turn around and point at the condo at The Beach......fish are generally in the 40-45 ft depth but will move around. You'll have a limit before you complete a circuit.

Back