How do you Polish your Parker?

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rangerdog

Reaction score
This year instead of just wax, I need to a deep cleaning polish on my Parker. What do you guys use? Cleaner/polish? Cleaning wax combo? Should I use my random orbit polisher to apply the cleaner, or just use it for removal and buffing?

Thanks in advance.

John

I'll be trying Rejex for the first time this year. I hear its excellent. I'll be applying it with a Porter Cable 7424.

I use a Makita 9227 (7") variable speed polisher.

I've had really good luck with Woody Wax Ultra Gloss Compound
http://www.woody-wax.com/ultra_gloss_compound.php

I've also had good luck with 3M Finesse-it
http://multimedia.3m.com/mws/mediawebse ... 6E666666--

After using these products to get the finish clean, you will need to follow up with a wax to seal and protect the surface.

I've used the Collinite wax products, but honestly, I've had just as good a result with Meguires. It lasts all season on my boat.

Can you tell me what steps you take to do the job correctly.
After removing the shrink wrap do you hose the boat down and clean with boat soap or do you go right the cleaner/polisher step?

Do you treat the entire boat hull and topsides (non-skid) the same way?

flydoc":3grqwnxo said:
Can you tell me what steps you take to do the job correctly.
After removing the shrink wrap do you hose the boat down and clean with boat soap or do you go right the cleaner/polisher step?

Do you treat the entire boat hull and topsides (non-skid) the same way?

I always wash her with a strong solution of Simple Green and a bit of liquid bleach.
Get her as squeaky clean as you can before starting your polishing.

I polish only the smooth gel-coated areas, not the non skid. On the non skid I'll use Woody Wax applied precisely according to the directions. Resist the urge to use too much Woody. With this stuff, less is better.
http://www.woody-wax.com/woody_wax.php

Once applied, rinse it with copious amounts of water and dry with an old bath towel.

Detailing the Megabyte is therapeutic for me, so your effort (and mileage) may vary. :wink:

If you look on Meguires or 3m marine web site they go through process. Clean with wax and degreaser , with high speed buffer at 1600 rpm use a cleaner type compound if really bad than a polish to bring back the shine than a good carnuba wax to seal it . lots of work but the results will be worth it.

3M cleaner / wax combo. Just did my other boat with it and it looks great.

Wash boat, use good boat soap or Dawn. Buy gallon of 3m, pour into small bucket, apply to boat surface with larger paint brush. Do 3x3 area at a time. I use a 7" orbital polisher to work the product into the fiberglass, then use a 10" orbital with wool bonnet to polish.

Saves time, looks great.

I have dewalt polisher and meguiers stuff is great,they make a package deal with 4 steps to use and do,i have it for my truck,but they do make it for marine use you can contact them direct and tell them what your doing and they with tell you the best deal for your money!!!And they throw stuff in sometimes to keep a loyal customer!!Another good finish product after you do the steps is liquid glass it is awesome stuff boat will be like glass on outside!!!Meguiers make the color stand out very nice makes it very rich!!!you will love it!!

rangerdog":2omabtd1 said:
Megabyte":2omabtd1 said:
I use a Makita 9227 (7") variable speed polisher.

Foam for compounding? Wool for buffing?

I have both, but I've had my best luck just using the wool pads.

Dampen them when using the polishing compound and keep a bucket of water handy to drop the pads into for cleaning when they become debris laden.

Wash out the used pads in plenty of clean water and rotate them often so you don't just spread the dead gelcoat around. The idea is to use the pad and compound to cut and clean the surface lifting off the dull dead (oxidized) material before applying the wax.

Keep the pads cleaned out often and the job will go much smoother.

Remember, if you are going to use a straight carnuba wax after using the polishing compound (a pure wax product without a cleaner), the surface must be completely clean and devoid of oxidation before applying the wax.

Make sense?

An OLD SALT put it to me this way. Wax melts in the hot Sun and when dirt lands on the hot wax it sticks. He highly recommends a Polimer Polish, which will not melt in the Sun. I never followed his advise. I liked cleaning my boats.

I take a bunch of kids from the neighborhood fishing regularly thruout the summer.
They will be polishing my boat!!!!!

Hello just so you Know Megiures make a good set of stuff it is a 3 step package cleaner wax the polish!!! It is great stuff!!!Go to there website WWW.Meguires.com i have alot of there stuff i have direct Phone # to them!!!! It goes on easy and comes off easy

I also use a Porter Cable model 7424 with plenty of wool bonnets.
---
Each spring I spend a few weeks prepping my boat for the first dunk. I wash her several times and then I use a cleaner compound throughout. My boat is still relatively new and in good shape so I it doesn't take much elbow grease and I apply it by hand.
---
I then spend several days applying several coats of wax on her using my orbital. I do something weird though. Ocassionally I apply a light mist of water from a spray bottle as I wax her.
---
I spend a good amount of time out behind the barn working on her (23SE) so I don't have to spend any more time with her (the GF)!. Whatever works I guess.

I've heard that water helps the wax bond to the paint in the autmotive world. I've tried that on my car before. Works great actually. And it removes all the dust also.

The best thing out there that you can use after you wash wax your boat is Called Liguid Glass it is $20-$25 for like a quart but it is awesome you will be very happy!!!Trust Me!!!They sell it auto zone,pep boys!!!

so I dont have to spend more time with her.

HA!
I hear ya brother

Back