How does the 2520XL with bracket ride?

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J876

Reaction score
Greetings all,

I'm in the process of purchasing a new 2520XL with single yamaha 4 stroke 300hp engine mounted on a bracket. Problem is the dealer apparently doesn't have any of these available to test drive before buying. My current boat that I have now is a 2004 2520XL with a single 225 yamaha on a notched transom. I already know about the rough ride of the XL in a head sea compared to the XLD so that's not an issue. My question is will the new 2520XL with engine on a bracket ride differently than my current once with engine on a notched transom? I'm not crazy about the idea of not test driving a new boat before buying but if people assure me it rides the same I might feel more comfortable. My concerns are getting in and out of the slip at the marina or coming back through a choppy inlet. Appreciate any advice.

In the real world, the ride will be so similar that it's hardly worth mentioning any differences. That said, the 25XL with the bracket should, in theory, ride somewhat better with the longer planing axis of the boat provided by the additional 2.5ft bracket adding to the overall length of the boat. .

We have a 2005 2520XL with a bracket. I was not aware that they made an XL model with the notched transom. Your present boat has 4 seats inside the pilot house?

We did move from an older 14 degree 2520 SC with notch transom up to the 2005 2520XL with a bracket about 10 years ago. It does ride better just since it is heavier, the bracket does extend overall length so you can stretch across the crests of the chop better. We also put Merc Rev props on which helped with maneuvering around the dock and stern lift especially compared to stock yamaha props. Put permatrims on this year and that helped improved ride too.

got_em_on":12q6qh3g said:
We have a 2005 2520XL with a bracket. I was not aware that they made an XL model with the notched transom. Your present boat has 4 seats inside the pilot house?

We did move from an older 14 degree 2520 SC with notch transom up to the 2005 2520XL with a bracket about 10 years ago. It does ride better just since it is heavier, the bracket does extend overall length so you can stretch across the crests of the chop better. We also put Merc Rev props on which helped with maneuvering around the dock and stern lift especially compared to stock yamaha props. Put permatrims on this year and that helped improved ride too.

Actually I might be mistaken - I believe mine is a 2520SL. It is a 2004 and does have a notched transom. It only has a captains chair and cushioned bench on port side.

Thanks for the responses guys, feeling a little more confident now going into this.

I've owned a Parker 2520DV for many years. It's the deepest dead rise Parker has, at 21 degrees.

IMHO, Parkers are not Regulators, or Contenders in their ride quality. One of the reasons the pilothouse models don't ride "as well" is that you're riding far forward compared a center console and of course, the dead rise is flatter.

Personally, I wouldn't own a MV or XL because you're better off spending your money on the 21 degree dead rise. The sacrifices are few and in the long run, you'll appreciate having the extra dead rise.

John_Madison CT":2gfhy8b8 said:
I've owned a Parker 2520DV for many years. It's the deepest dead rise Parker has, at 21 degrees.

IMHO, Parkers are not Regulators, or Contenders in their ride quality. One of the reasons the pilothouse models don't ride "as well" is that you're riding far forward compared a center console and of course, the dead rise is flatter.

Personally, I wouldn't own a MV or XL because you're better off spending your money on the 21 degree dead rise. The sacrifices are few and in the long run, you'll appreciate having the extra dead rise.

Double the engines, double the fuel and double the maintenance cost. Different strokes for different folks. I generally fish 5-6 miles off the beach at the most. I've had an MV for several years and it works just fine for me. If you slow down a little it handles a 2-3 foot sea without issue. I personally don't enjoy being out there when seas are bigger than that. If you fish 10+ miles and out to the canyons regularly then I agree you're better off going with a DV.

Doubling the engines does not double the fuel consumption. Twins could very well provide better fuel economy than a single motor. You might say I learned that expensive lesson 2 years ago. :wink:

johnkn":2hmp658g said:
Doubling the engines does not double the fuel consumption. Twins could very well provide better fuel economy than a single motor. You might say I learned that expensive lesson 2 years ago. :wink:

However the DV hull is heavier based on the listed weights and does require more power to push it along from what I understand = more fuel burn.

Burtona":2lqq6tgu said:
Doubling the engines does double the chances of a catastrophic engine failure!

That's like saying I have 32 teeth therefore I have 32x the chance of losing a tooth vs if I only had one tooth. Lol

Doubling the number of engines also provides a chance of getting home if there IS a catastrophic engine failure. :wink:

J876":gtrhei1z said:
johnkn":gtrhei1z said:

However the DV hull is heavier based on the listed weights and does require more power to push it along from what I understand = more fuel burn.

Ok, but that has nothing to do with doubling the number of engines, only MV vs DV. Right?

johnkn":1yq2o6ga said:
J876":1yq2o6ga said:
johnkn":1yq2o6ga said:

Ok, but that has nothing to do with doubling the number of engines.. Right?

I have had guys with double engines at my marina claim they use more fuel than single engine boats. Perhaps they're pushing a heavier boat. I'm not doubting you. All I can go by is what I'm told as I've only used singles.

Sure twin, trip, or quad boats can use more fuel than a single, but that's a pretty broad statement. Here's my very documented experience in recent years.

I ordered and purchased a new 2016 2520XL open back with single 300, free standing 2nd station, etc.. Full of fuel, 1 person, very moderate equipment, and new bottom paint that boat did 40mph (barely). Motor up 1 hole, motor trimmed up, I never saw 41 and would generally do 39 and occasionally click over to 40. All GPS documented, many times. At 4500 rpm it delivered 30 mph and 1.6 mpg. The Parker factory rep was in the area and sea trialed with my boat with my dealer and said all was normal (and even tried multiple props) though not anywhere close to advertised specs. 5 month later I traded it in on a brand new 2017 2820. Larger, heavier boat, DV vs MV, 600 hp vs 300. Same open back, 2nd station, etc.. Full of (more) fuel it delivers the same 30 mph at 3400 rpm, and gets 2.0 mpg. 4200 is 40 mph and 1.7 mpg (10 mph faster than the 2520) and tops out in the mid/upper 50s. Larger, much heavier boat, similar equipment, DV vs MV, 2x the power yet much better performance.

Again, only my real, documented experiences. Let's just say is was a costly lesson to buy 2 new Parkers in 5-6 months, but for me life's too short to have a boat I'm not happy with.

Good luck...

My 2520DV has a single outboard on a bracket. Don't know why you say "double"?

J876":310v0t48 said:
John_Madison CT":310v0t48 said:

Double the engines, double the fuel and double the maintenance cost. Different strokes for different folks. I generally fish 5-6 miles off the beach at the most. I've had an MV for several years and it works just fine for me. If you slow down a little it handles a 2-3 foot sea without issue. I personally don't enjoy being out there when seas are bigger than that. If you fish 10+ miles and out to the canyons regularly then I agree you're better off going with a DV.

Latest posts

Back