How does your Dog board your boat?

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheOtherLine

Reaction score
I am about to become the parent to a young Chocolate Lab. We have other dogs but they are not water dogs. They just like to lay around the house.

I am hoping to make this dog my fishing buddy but I need to figure out how to get her in the boat.

Our boat is on a lift and between the edge of the dock and the gunwale of the boat there is about a 24" gap. I am concerned that if Lilly mis steps, she is going to fall into the water where I can't get to her easily. And, of course, she has to jump from the gunwale into the boat.

So I was wondering if anyone has designed or made some sort of gang plank that can be used to make it easier for her to get on AND, as importantly, OFF the boat. Not sure how I'm going to do that yet....

Any ideas appreciated.

Attachments

• lilly.jpg
    lilly.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 921
FWIW my brother uses that yellow plastic specialized "doggie boarding ladder" for his 21' Arima, where the gunnels are about as high as my 25 SC. It wasn't cheap, but it can also be used to allow the dog to board the boat from the water if needed. The overboard-end floats or has floats so the dog's weight doesn't sink it, or sink it far enough to prevent boarding. Perhaps that would not only be suitable as a gangplank (as you needed) but to be on board in case your pup takes an inadvertant overboard plunge.

When I boated with Leo, a fit, healthy but chunky 45-pound beagle, I got him a floatation jacket, i.e., doggie life vest, more so for the large loop on the back, so if I needed to ... I had a method and handle to bring him back aboard with.

Good luck, dogs are great boating accessories :) !

Merlin could 'climb' the swim ladder to the platform, then up to the gunnel, then down into the cockpit on the old boat.

We'll see how he does with the new boat but I don't think there will be a problem.
Merstep1.jpg

Merstep2.jpg

I do know that my dog anyway, will use his claws while negotiating, and he'll slip and scratch on glelcoat, so some kind of carpet is in order on challenging surfaces.

DSCI0563.jpg

My dog makes the jump - not quite 24" but close. I added some non-skid tape to the top of the transon storage doors (not shown) helped him a lot.

He does wind up in the drink once and a while. I have a live preserver for him - it has a handle on top. Just grab ahold and haul his ass back in.[attachment=0]Boat

Attachments

• Boat Parker_4.JPG
    Boat Parker_4.JPG
    69.4 KB · Views: 873
  • Tanner_9.jpg
    Tanner_9.jpg
    131.6 KB · Views: 873
I think I will be looking for this post in the next 12 months...........assuming the family has their way. :shock: :roll:

Try this, I just ordered one so my to Portuguese Water Dogs (50lbs) can get back on the boat. It seems to be the best thing I've found so far. Easy to use and easy to store.

http://www.gundogsupply.com/loadapupinuse.html
http://www.gundogsupply.com/load-a-pup-video.html

Howdy! You are here: > Hunting Supplies > Dog Stands, Platforms & Ladders > Load-A-Pup Boat Ladder
Load-A-Pup Dog Ladder -- Boarding Ladder Mount

List: $124
Order Yours: $114.95

Usually ships the same business day.

You Save $9.05
read reviews | write review
Code: 3703

Read more about the Load-A-Pup Boat Ladder

Your dog will never again have to sit home alone when you head out to the lake -- with the Load-A-Pup from Great Day, you and your dog can enjoy all the fun associated with recreational boating. Just attach the Load-A-Pup to your boat's boarding ladder and you are ready for action. Your dog can leave and re-enter your boat whenever he wants. The great thing is, he can do it without any help -- no more bending, tugging, or straining!

The Load-A-Pup platform is constructed of lightweight aircraft aluminum and includes gripping ridges to insure solid, safe footing as your dog climbs back into the boat after a swim. The Load-A-Pup's off-white powder-coat finish not only complements the factory finish or color of any boat, but will help to insure years of dependable service.

The Load-a-Pup fits any boat that has a boarding ladder. It weighs only 7 lbs. and has a large 14" x 20" platform. It comes complete with security straps, installs in seconds and folds flat for compact storage when not in use. Made in the USA.

If your boat doesn't have a ladder, check out the Load-A-Pup HD.

Buy Load-A-Pup Dog Ladder -- Boarding Ladder Mount

List: $124
Order Yours: $114.95

Lizzy, My 3 year old chocolate Lab just jumps in and out of the boat from the dock. Keeping her out of the boat would be harder than getting her to jump in. She loves to go fishing with me.

Bad News, Good News, Bad News.

Well Bad News is that the Chocolate we were waiting for never made it to our home. Apparently, she was "promised" to someone else and after much frustration, we just let it go.

Good News is we wound up with a new Black Lab that we found at the pound! Vet says she's about
a year or so old and appears to be pure bred. We don' t care if she is or not but I guess that's a bonus.

Bad News #2 is we refer to her as our Labra no Retriever. She doesn't fetch, catch or chase balls, frisbees or sticks. She just follows me around and plops down and sleeps. Working on some commands and she is picking them up pretty quickly.

Even though she has already chewed up 3 of our TV remotes and 1 Wii remote, we still love her.

Can't wait for the weather to warm up so I can throw her in the pool and see if she can swim.

Attachments

• daisy (Small).jpg
    daisy (Small).jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 568
I have a 90 lb yellow lab that is now 3 years old. She just jumps off the pier into the boat and off the boat onto the pier. The only time she has had any issue was when it was super low tide and the top of the gunnel was about 1.5 ft below the dock so she had to get from the floor to the dock. I have a life jacket from West Marine that has a handle and we just pick her up if need be. It is also helpful for recovering her from the water when she wants to swim with the rest of us. She just loves the water so much she will jump overboard to swim around with us.

Attachments

• Morgan Swimming.jpg
    Morgan Swimming.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 550
Back