How much does my 2520 weigh ?

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
Can't seem to find the correct answer. Only fact I see is on Parker's site which lists the dry weight of 5300. That is for a XL with a bracket. My boat is a 2009 2520 SL with a notched transom. I would think it weighs less. Does that listed weight include the engine ? Trying to buy the right trailer as some dealers say I need a 6000 lb trailer & some say I need a 10,000 lb trailer.

To the dry weight, whatever it is, you need to add the weight of the trailer itself, which I bet would be 1600-2000 pounds alone. Then add for fuel and gear ... and yes, I'd say you are far closer to 10k needed capacity.

Thanks Dale,
That's kinda why I was asking the question as i want to buy the lightest trailer I need. The boat is going once a year, unloaded and with little fuel to Florida & back. One dealer told me my boat was under 5000 lbs one told me I NEED a 10,500 lb trailer . The actual weight would help a lot.

052520":97chvq0x said:
That's kinda why I was asking the question as i want to buy the lightest trailer I need.
That might very well be an extremely foolish decision ... if you had an accident and it was investigated, you risk losing ALL insurances .. on your tow vehicle, your boat, the other vehicle (if you are found at fault) ... as well as anything medical expense related. Even if you retained some coverage, you might also be opening yourself up to a suit.

I believe the "dry weights' posted from ~20-years ago were for the hull only, with windows, deck hardware, door, hatches, and such, but no motor-related gear (cables, controls, harnesses, batteries, etc. ... though I have no proof of that).

Look at this post for how it can all ADD up big-time! See: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=3851

FWIW I launch at a ramp 75' away, so like you I haul twice a year if lucky (meaning no more than twice, haha). But I at least use a 7500# trailer, which is likely right about where it weighs. I also remove anything I can when or if it needs to be towed. Now, when I had to take it on the highway to get it repowered, I hired a professional hauler, so it was on their insurance and their responsibility.

Personally I'd find a good used one with a rating at least 8K if you're subbing out the haul. My hauler has always inspected my trailer, but has never questioned the weight, so where I had a towing contract, that put the onus back on him as he accepted the haul.

But you say "to FL and back" with no details of where 'back' is. So, if a long-distance tow on highways, I'd still go heavier vs. lighter ...

Yes you need the 10,500GVW.

That is the weight that the trailer is rated for in full, including the weight of the trailer. The trailer itself will weigh close to 1500lbs.

So you will then have 9000lbs of carrying capacity.

These boats are big enough that you can really load them down very easy.

Gas weighs 6.073lbs per gal. I just round it to 6lbs per gal. X 150gal = 900lbs

600lbs for a big 4 stroke motor.

It goes on and on.

Full of fuel my 2530 weighs 7600lbs....But there was no fishing gear added.

Yep.

By the time you add the motor and rigging, fuel, people, safety gear, cooler, ice, and fishing gear...
You're easily pushing 4 tons.
Make sure that trailer has a good set of brakes. :wink:

Got word from Parker today

Boat 4500 lbs
Motor 600

5100 lbs w/o fuel. I will never travel full. 6000 full.

Dale , going from mass to Fla
Not looking For the lightest (cheapest) trailer. Looking to reduce total overall GCVW.
The higher the GVW of the trailer the heavier it is.

Looks as I need a 6000 carry capacity trailer or a 8000 GVW trailer give or take.

Thanks all !

Good luck with that....I've seen the plates on I-Beams split away from the web of the beam.

I don't think you have near thought this thru.

Batteries,fuel,ground tackle, electronics,fishing gear, camping gear, ice......It all adds up and it will all fit in the boat....But the trailer will be overloaded.

Heck a single Deep cycle Gp27 battery weighs about 75lbs.

052520":165xu7o6 said:
... going from mass to Fla
Whaaaa ... once or twice per year? Buy a boat in each State, haha!

Seriously, for that tow and being on FED highways, you need the biggest trailer you can get to be safe ... you're not talking a 150' run to the ramp like I am ... WORLDS of difference!

Purposely traveling light. No ice, no gear, no fuel, nothing..... Seriously .
Boat and motor 5100 lbs. trailer is 1300 lbs

Just bought a 8525 GVW trailer with a 7225 carrying capacity. That's over one ton more carrying capacity than I "need". Brakes on all 4 wheels, alloy wheels & forward bunks.

Recently closed on my second home ( with a boat slip !) in Ft. Lauderdale & looking forward to some sails, mahi, & swords this winter !

Thanks for your advice !

A bit It off topic OP, but have you also considered that the 2520 is considered oversize in width. That's a long haul and a lot of permits to pull if you're doing the hauling.

Permit service gets them all for you...

Thank you !

Not long after I purchased my 2520XL I towed it to a near by truck scale. Parked the trailer unhooked on the scales and it came in at 8,920 pounds. I had the fuel tank full, my safety equipment, and a small amount of fishing tackle. My boat is sitting on a Load Rite roller trailer model 27T7400G2. It has disc brakes on both axles. Trailer is right at its limit. I pull it with a 2004 F250 with a 6.0 Power Stroke, 6 speed manual transmission, 3.73 rears.

Charlie
Eden, Maryland

Back