How NOT to launch your boat ...

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaleH

FOUNDER of Classic Parker Forum
Reaction score
Step #1: Looks good so far ... but we ain't done ...
18598-splash-liftoff.jpg

Step #2: Oh oh ...
18599-splash-splash.jpg

Step #3: F$#k Maaco, better call a lawyer!
18601-splash-shaftless.jpg

Note the rear lifting strap appears to have also wiped out the running gear ...

Holy &#@*! I look like an ace at the ramp compared to that. I'm sure that guy in the picture needed an ambulance ride afterward. Paging Dr. Summeroff.......

My brother noticed that there actually TWO guys in the back. Notice the arm of the second guy just under the first, next to the fender. (He would have been forward before the boat went vertical.)

Anyone know the story here?

It looks like the boat was being lifted by a crane and the forward rigging 'failed'. :shock:

The front sling clearly gave way or just slipped off the bow.

Even when I was just a 'kid' and we launched my Dad's 30' Chris Craft in the same manner. We had a heavy 1" line tied to both stern straps that were simply 'clipped' to the front strap lines to prevent the forward strap from slipping off the bow. A guy in a tender would just unclip these once the boat was ready to leave the hoist.

In those days, you had to wait a few hours for the wood hull to swell up ... soaking in they call it. Then again, that million dollar plus boat shown sure took a soaking too :shock: huh??

Looks to me like they lifted the bow too high and the front strap started moving/sliding forward. You can see where the front strap ripped off the Delta anchor. Look at all the anchor chain flying upwards, or should I say boat moving downwards!?

Also looks like there is a chaffing pad stuck to the bottom forward of the strap. The line that is hanging down each side looks like it parted prior to the forward strap coming up the bow. Probably started the boat swaying.

jim

That 2nd pic is absolutely unbelievable. Hope those two faired OK. Makes me cringe just looking at it.

Wonder who in the would let two men (maybe more inside?) ride this thing during launch from such a height?

Looks like the boat is easily be in the 70+ ft. range so it was very high off the water (70+ ft.?) when it let go.

If the front sling slipped off the bow, looks like it did not rub the paint off the keel line and two keel pads stayed in place.

And the boat lift looks like it has lots of pieces that could fail if not properly inspected and maintained. If I were asked to bet, I'd bet on a failure of a sling, line, etc.

Sure do hope the down ridermen come out okay too.

,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Pete

The boot strip in the first picture is a lot bigger than the one in the third picture. I agree looks like someone spent some time in Photo Shop. :roll:

gw204":33h4fh6k said:
Looks like someone's PhotoShop masterpiece to me....

NJ-2310":33h4fh6k said:
The boot strip in the first picture is a lot bigger than the one in the third picture. I agree looks like someone spent some time in Photo Shop. :roll:

Allegedly someone with the high-res photos had them scanned and they are not fakes, but who knows.

"They [photos]are supposed to be from the MV Rickmers Dalian discharging in the Middle East (Jebel Ali)."

The boat, a Marquis 55':

18605-splash-81389_p_t_640x480_image05.jpg

Looks like a similar sling set up here.

,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Pete

Attachments

• Boat loading unloading (Small).jpg
    Boat loading unloading (Small).jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 2,488
Back