How wide of trim tabs to place on a 2014 XLD

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zeb

Reaction score
Hello fellow boaters.

Looking at upgrading my trim tabs and was wondering what people are putting on their boat. Would 24 in by 9 in cord work or would you recommend a different size.

looking to improve ride and bring bow down.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Hello fellow boaters.

Looking at upgrading my trim tabs and was wondering what people are putting on their boat. Would 24 in by 9 in cord work or would you recommend a different size.

looking to improve ride and bring bow down.

Any feedback would be appreciated.
24x9 is a pretty popular size. I have smaller tabs on my 25, and have no issues controlling the bow. So you’ll likely be very happy with the larger tabs; less deflection for the intended effect.

Larger / wider is better . Why?

Because it takes less input to do the same function IE: Bow down.
The less input, means less drag and better fuel mileage.

Larger / wider is better . Why?

Because it takes less input to do the same function IE: Bow down.
The less input, means less drag and better fuel mileage.
Warthog5, I have a 2120 and thinking about changing out the original trim tabs. What would you recommend?

I should of mention the model year is 2014 25 XLD. I believe they changed the design of that boat around that timeframe by adding a door on stern and it has an Armstrong platform. The boat has a Yamaha 300 and a kicker motor. With that weight I need to bring down the bow..

Any recommendation for Trim Tab size would be appreciated. The ones I currently have are definitely undersized.

I'm a Bennett fan... They set the Standard in #1 customer service many Moons ago.
24 X 12 with the control that has indicators.

But.....Does your boat have trim tab pockets?

Warthog5, I have a 2120 and thinking about changing out the original trim tabs. What would you recommend?

Does your Hull have Tab pockets?

Tab pockets are the recess's in the bottom of the hull that the "Factory" decided was the right size trim tab for the boat... Typically they were wrong and tabs are to small.... The problem is... In order to install bigger tabs the hull needs surgery.... There are a few people I know that have done the surgery in order to add bigger tabs.
If you don't have pockets , for a 21ftr a 12 X 12.... Again I like Bennett's.

I do agree bennets are the best but boat is set up for electric lenco tabs.. As far as tab pockets, are you taking about the Tabs that retract under the boat. I do not have access to the boat at this time but I know they do not retract…

Yes... Tab Pockets are the recess's in the hull @ the transom where the tabs lay.

Where are Lenco's used so much now? Answer.... Faster install.

Zeb, on my 2012 2520 xld I installed 36 x 12 lencos and used all of the controls that came w/ the boat. Possibly the biggest tabs ever installed on a 2520. I have the same single 300 and 9.9 kicker and the tabs add lift with very little deployment as they effectively lengthen the hull by a foot . I had the 12 x20 stock tabs ( 12" being the hinge ) and wanted lift in the stern more than needing more bow down so I went w/ as big as I felt I could w/o creating ventilation or cavitation issues. I am sure this would not work w/ twins but it's fine w/ the single. Pics if you want , LMK.

Chas650r.

Thanks for the response and sorry for my delayed response.. I was on vacation. If you could send some pictures that would be awesome. I like to see how tabs line up with the bottom of the boat. Also, are You able to level them out with tabs halfway down?

Anyway, if you can send some pics it would be awesome.

ZEB, I am not sure I understand what you are asking but I will take a stab at it, I set the tabs up so at fully retracted they are above the line of the hull by a bit more than the norm so I have the ability to get little or no contact w/ the water flow if needed. At the time of install I figured I would rarely need all the down travel but wanted to be sure I could get no additional drag if needed when fully retracted. I have the Lenco helm control w/ the bar indicators and at 4 bars down the tabs are flush ( parallel) with the hull , if that makes sense. Feel free to ask for more info.

Attachments

• 20230219_111034.jpg
    20230219_111034.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 1
  • 20230219_111111.jpg
    20230219_111111.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230219_111117.jpg
    20230219_111117.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230219_111140.jpg
    20230219_111140.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
Chas650r, The pictures helped a lot and I am glad you understood what I was trying to state.. I was just wondering if the larger/wider tabs made a big difference. I have an issue when running at half throttle bringing the bow down lower so people such as myself and my son in law can see over the bow more easily… Also, looking to bring bow down in rougher water to get a little bit of a smother ride. The waves on Lake Erie can beat you up..

On my previous boat I installed Wide Trim tabs (Boat did not have them on) and I was able to almost bury the bow if I wanted too..

So feedback on the the difference between the stock trim tabs and the new ones you had installed would be appreciated.

Thanks again for taking the time to provide feedback..

Zeb, no worries , glad to help. The tabs are very effective at raising the stern/lowering the bow. You now have the the long skinny (12x20?) tabs , correct? Same as my original mentioned above , correct?

What is your speed at 1/2 throttle ? What prop? I ask because I have my boat propped down quite a bit to stay on plane at a lower speed and my 1/2 throttle is most likely slower than yours. With the deep v belly on the 2520xld I believe bow rise at lower speeds is really a function of the stern being low and as speed rises the stern rises , bow comes down . On my boat the old tabs would do the job fully deflected once I propped down so the motor had the torque to keep the boat on plane at say 20mph , but the drag from the old tabs all the way down was so much I could not achieve the low planning speed until I propped down w/ 4blade 13" pitch. For my area slower planning speed in the short duration wind swells is a lot more important than going 40 mph, we just cant go fast very often.

So with the prop change ,I gave up speed and a bit of fuel mileage for more bottom end power to be able to stay on plane slower and go up and down swells and through the wind chop without ever having to touch the throttle , again with the old tabs all the way down this was a effective combo.

My hope with the big new tabs was that I could achieve the same low speed plane w/ less drag and possibly be able to get a bit better fuel mileage, maybe w/ a bit more prop pitch.

So the verdict is that the tabs helped. I am able to find the happy spot with less deflection . But, here is the thing , I fished many days on a older model 25 deep v parker with a I/O diesel and those boats were just balanced better , and MUCH lighter (hard to get real figures but at least 1000lbs lighter) The old boat would stay on plane at 16-18 and go through anything with the bow down comfortably . I had hoped to get my boat closer to that type of performance but I have now realized there is no fixing a over weight ,stern heavy boat.

My guess is the bigger tabs would be a must on the twin powered 25xld w/ just that much more weight back there. My boat is pretty stripped down I have no added weight behind the cabin what so ever, just to try and help the stern heavy condition. When needed, 200 gallons of fuel , in the tank to to far aft IMO, kills this set up we have.

If you tell more about your set up I can tell you weather or not I would do the tab change again.

Hope this helps!

Hi chase650r…On the 2014 2520 XLD I have standard tabs that I believe are 9 x 12. I am mainly wanting to get the bow down due to rough seas and just to bring down the bow.. I have issues getting the bow down as I am sure you are aware.

The longest trip I might be 20 miles one way so gas mileage is not really an issue… just trying to get the bow down so I can plow thru when there is rough seas or just cruising…

I really am set up like you. No real weight in the back other than an engine and 9.9 kicker motor. I am thinking the wider tabs is the way to go to save some pounding on my back….

I believe the wider tabs is the way to go unless you have other thoughts.

On the 2014 2520 XLD I have standard tabs that I believe are 9 x 12.

Those would be what I'd put on a 18-20ft skiff.
Even a 12X12 is not big enough for a 23ftr.

Zeb, if your tabs are really only 12x 9 then yes bigger tabs will help a lot. IF the tabs are the same as my stock ones you may not notice a huge difference . The only way I have got my boat to go through the chop w/o pounding is to slow down . Unlike a downeast style hull to bow on the parker does not have enough V to really cut through the chop. Even when i get the bow down , unless I can get the speed under 18 mph , it still pounds . Also w/ the bow down that much the boat tends to bow steer a bit , again unless you can slow down enough AND still stay on the plane. You have never said what prop you are running and IMO the prop can really make a difference given You have enough tab to start with.

And I get what you are trying to accomplish because we run 30-50 miles dead into the prevailing wind and swell to get to our offshore islands and it's rare we can use much of the speed the boat is capable of. I have tried a lot of different combos .

Not trying to talk you out of the bigger tabs , just don't know what you have now and don't want to waste your money.

Might be worth taking a look at zip wakes if you’re looking for new tabs. Pricey compared to traditional tabs but have advantages.

Back