Hurricane Irene, East Coast Watch Thread

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Megabyte

Reaction score
Heads up east coast members! Irene could be trouble for all of us.

If you are in a slip and intend to ride the storm out, make sure your batteries are topped off, bilge pumps are clear and operational, and consider doubling your lines.
This is a major named storm, so most insurance policies will cover haul-out and blocking on land.
Check with your marina operator and insurance company for details.

If on a trailer, protect against wind tippage and flying or falling objects (like trees).

http://www.wunderground.com/tropical/tr ... _5day.html

at201109_5day.gif

Im hauling the boat today before the ramps get crazy toward the weekend. Not taking any chances. Im right inside the hook of Cape Cod Bay which most models are showing will be directly in her path with at least a cat 1.

I'm going to give it a day or so before I decide.
The trouble with my yard is that it is ringed by lots of very large mature trees that average 50' in height.

I've ridden out three tropical storms and multiple nor-easters in my slip, so I'm thinking that might be safer than in the trees! :shock:
Docks are fixed, but I tie with 7 lines and the boat just rides straight up and down with the water level the way I have her secured.

I'll decide by Friday.

Ive got lots of tall pines as well but I think if I put her up tight to the garage It'll be out of range. My marina is a stone throw to open water so thats wy I sway to pulling. Google Earth marshfield yacht club and you'll see. One way or the other there is always a chance for damage. I have to just hope for the best.
Be a good chance to clean the hull up for the remainder of the season also.
Will keep you posted!

very interesting marina you got there. You are pretty close to the water, but still looks like you have a decent ride out huh?
I think I see your Parker in its slip haha

One of the things I've been doing at home is cleaning the gutters and downspouts that I can reach with a 10' A-frame ladder.
All of my downspout drains, except for one, go underground and exit in the yard away from the house.

The one downspout that empties at ground level is next to my whole house generator.
Previous to this, I had a piece of corrugated drain pipe attached to the downspout, but it was always difficult to trim and mow around.
While I was at Homie Depot today, I decided to fix this.

Bought a length of downspout tube, and trimmed it to length.
Then I cut a 'window' from the top of the tube back about 6" and secured it to the house downspout with stainless screws.

Now, when I need it out of the way, I just pivot the tube up vertically.
When I'm done mowing, I rotate it down so water can exit to the swale in my side yard.
Probably took me all of 30 minutes to fabricate.

Attachments

• up.jpg
    up.jpg
    173.5 KB · Views: 459
  • down.jpg
    down.jpg
    292.7 KB · Views: 459
miky2884":55vi44m3 said:
I like that generator!!!

Thanks!

20kw air cooled Generac.
Natural gas fueled (can also run on propane), with an automatic transfer switch.

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

I live on a penninsula so power goes out here frequently, many times when the sun is shining. :roll:
I waited 10 years to do this, but talk about peace of mind...!

Megabyte":3mfyik2t said:
Bought a length of downspout tube, and trimmed it to length.
Then I cut a 'window' from the top of the tube back about 6" and secured it to the house downspout with stainless screws.

Now, when I need it out of the way, I just pivot the tube up vertically.
When I'm done mowing, I rotate it down so water can exit to the swale in my side yard.
Probably took me all of 30 minutes to fabricate.

That is a great idea!!!! :D

All of my downspouts dump right next to the foundation. I'm fixing that tonight with a couple of extensions. Going to make rigid connections for now, but I might steal your idea in the future.

Would you mind grabbing a pic of your underground downspouts and the discharges? I ran across that type of solution myself today and was wonder if the discharges ever get clogged up with yard debris.

Here are the connections at the house.
The exit points in the yard you can barely see so a photo would be pointless.
The exits blend right into the lawn. You wouldn't even know they were there if you didn't know where to look.

Attachments

• 01.jpg
    01.jpg
    216.8 KB · Views: 444
  • 02.jpg
    02.jpg
    200.3 KB · Views: 444
  • 03.jpg
    03.jpg
    183.8 KB · Views: 444
  • 04.jpg
    04.jpg
    223.1 KB · Views: 444
I am sorry fellas but I am going to have to report you to the Mods. This is off topic and has nothing to do with Parker Boats. If you do not cease this behavior immediately I will suggest your removal from this forum. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Regulator and SeaRays will be staying in up here in Niantic (I think). We too have ridden out tropical storms, and that's what's predicted right now.

pmeggers":34q8plts said:
screws up fishing for weeks

Same here in the Chesapeake.
The Susquehanna River is the biggest source of water flowing into the Bay, and the Susky watershed runs from NY, thru PA, and into MD.
That is a LOT of water, mud, sewage, and trash!

Not unusual to see trees or appliances floating in the Bay all the way down here after a big storm event.
Dangerous to even take the boat out.
As for fishing... it won't be happening. :cry:

Back