Hydraulic Steering Leak

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnfbushjr

Reaction score
It appears I have a fluid leak on the backside of my helm unit where the hoses hoses thread on. I noticed a minor amount of fluid running down the helm this summer. Somewhat concerned I tilted back the helm station and found a fair amount of fluid had leaked all over the wiring etc. around the pump unit. What a mess, glad I checked. I cleaned everything up as best I could and tied a white shop rag around where I thought it was coming from. I checked back a few trips later and sure enough it was wet again; and I think it is leaking where the brass nuts thread on to the 90 degree fittings in the picture.

This is the first season for me so I am not sure of the history but I think it is original. I read about 40 posts here tonight but didn't find any with the same problem I'm experiencing. Does anyone know if there are o-rings in these fittings that need to be periodically replaced? The steering seems a little spongey too. My thoughts are to buy an o-ring kit and then bleed the system this off season. Any concerns bleeding it in colder weather?

ANABEL JANE POWER STEERING PLUMBING.jpg

It appears I have a fluid leak on the backside of my helm unit where the hoses hoses thread on. I noticed a minor amount of fluid running down the helm this summer. Somewhat concerned I tilted back the helm station and found a fair amount of fluid had leaked all over the wiring etc. around the pump unit. What a mess, glad I checked. I cleaned everything up as best I could and tied a white shop rag around where I thought it was coming from. I checked back a few trips later and sure enough it was wet again; and I think it is leaking where the brass nuts thread on to the 90 degree fittings in the picture.

This is the first season for me so I am not sure of the history but I think it is original. I read about 40 posts here tonight but didn't find any with the same problem I'm experiencing. Does anyone know if there are o-rings in these fittings that need to be periodically replaced? The steering seems a little spongey too. My thoughts are to buy an o-ring kit and then bleed the system this off season. Any concerns bleeding it in colder weather?

View attachment 26990
I got a Bubble Purge Pro from Outboard Specialty Tools and have used it in hot, cool and cold weather. The temperature was not an issue. After doing our Parker 2520, I have purged a number of boats systems for others. On ours, I first found and fixed a tiny/small hydraulic steering fluid leak at the cockpit/second steering station and also found small leaks on the other boats I've done. In each case I just had to carefully tighten each of the fittings. They barely moved, but moved enough to stop the leaks. Maybe try that first.... I have videos posted on using the Bubble Purge System.... here are a couple of them..... Parker 2520 SeaStar Steering Bleed (#2), Bubble Purge Pro - YouTube
Parker 2520 SeaStar Bleeding (#3), Bubble Purge Pro - YouTube

View attachment 26990
I would take it apart and reinstall using a hydraulic sealant like Red Lion, look like it is only the coupling

This is what I use.....Its designed for exactly what your dealing with....

https://www.permatex.com/products/t...nts/permatex-high-temperature-thread-sealant/

59214.jpg

Thanks for the replies guys I appreciate it. I think I'll go ahead and install a seal repair kit since I have to open up the lines anyways to seal the threads, kinda like wearing a belt and suspenders. Does anyone know what kit I should order? A picture of the helm unit is below.

Also, when I unhook those lines will fluid shoot out of them? Do I need to bleed pressure somewhere? Or just have some shop rags at the ready?

ANABEL JANE POWER STEERING NAMEPLATE.jpg

It will not be under preasure.....But have a Lil plastic tupperware style bowel ready to collect most of it.

If the leak seems to be coming from the hose connections, there are o-rings at each end of your hoses.

Yeah those hose fittings have o rings, I had one leaking , took it apart and noticed the o ring was wrecked. Had to replace the hose. Also, easy, make sure the fitting is not loose

They should be pretty simple to remove, if you use a pick they should come out no problem.

Attachments

• 5C8679ED-D73A-40E8-B5BF-B3892DF006F6.png
    5C8679ED-D73A-40E8-B5BF-B3892DF006F6.png
    956.9 KB · Views: 5
Back