Hydraulic Steering Not Responding

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nicknotsebastian

Reaction score
I posted in August for help with why my 23 se cc was pulling to port. Thanks very much for all the help as advised I tried a combination of skeg adjustment and hydraulic steering system "bleed" and top off - jolla, all was well.

Meanwhile, my brother' s 23 se cc has a more exaggerated steering problem.

We took his boat out last weekend. the boat had probably sat on its mooring for a couple of weeks inactive (on Cape Cod). The motor started perfectly, everything seemed fine and then the steering started to "fail". The only way I can think to describe it is to imagine all of a sudden there was an extra 50' of slack steering cable. He'd turn the wheel 10-12 full rotations in either direction before it'd start to respond and turn the engine. The faster we went, the more exaggerated it was. We turned around, limped back in and went back to his house for the trailer.

What do you think? Boat is pulled for the winter but not winterized yet. Something we can fix ourselves (?).

Thanks!

My bet is that the valve in the helm pump is sticking. I just did a complete hydronic steering overhaul due to somewhat similar issues. See link to thread. Maybe it will help assist?
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=16938

I had similar issues but not as pronounced. On a run back from offshore, I was constantly having to turn to the starboard to keep tracking straight, so much so that I'd make a full revolution every 10 minutes . Back at the dock, I could go full lock and still keep turning the wheel although the motor was all the way over. Checked the fluid level and bled the lines with no improvement. Luckily they replaced the entire ram under warranty. The dealer said it was probably either a bad seal or pump went south. There was no sign of leakage though. I'm just thankful it was covered as I was told I'd be looking at around $900 for a new one.

Back