I Could Use A Little Electrical Help Here . . . Updated

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kevin G.

Reaction score
Hello CP Folks!

I pulled Empty Pockets from the indoor storage facility I use and brought her to the house to install two fender cradles (and generally mess with the boat: just ‘cause).

The install went just fine . . . we are only talking a 7/16” socket and an open end wrench to mount ‘em and all . . . sheesh. Much nicer fenders as well: 6.5 x 23’s.

I took off both of the downriggers and stowed them, took off the Cockpit Bimini top and stowed that. Generally removed anything that isn’t needed to fish for Tuna. Oh, the swim ladder went into the garage as well. I don’t think I plan to take a dip while fishing for Albacore!

I towed the boat back to the storage facility and went to park the boat in the transfer yard.

When I went to back her up into the lane . . . NO JOY . . . the trailer brakes locked up!

Whaaaaaa? :shock:

I got out and checked everything I could see . . . nothing wrong. I disconnected the harness from the truck and pulled off the adaptor. All looked good, reassemble the adaptor to the harness and plug it back into the truck . . . gave it a good wiggle and seated it.

Try again . . . locked up. :evil:

I found a 2x4 and put it between the receiver assembly and the frame of the trailer and parked the boat.

This happened the last time I put her away as well. I had to use a 2x4 that time also.

I contacted the storage facility to see if they had a problem moving and stowing the boat. They use a forklift with a ball on the forks and mostly drive the boat backwards.

No problem for them at all! The forklift is also rigged with a trailer harness receiver and uses an adaptor if needed as well.

So . . . at least the problem is NOT my trailer braking system. (Thank God)

It appears to be my:

1. Adaptor. My Dodge truck has a round receiver; the boat harness has a 5-pin flat. The adaptor takes it from a flat 5-pin to a round "7" (actual is a 6 flat blades arrainged in a circle, they are male connectors and it has a round center female conductor receiver).

2. The truck’s plug receiver.

3. The wiring to the receiver.

My question is: How do I test them? I understand that the engine must be running and the transmission must be in reverse. See what pin has what power when in this configuration? Should the ‘brake’ pin be charged in this configuration or not?

A continuity check for the adaptor should be easy, but it is a round 7 to a flat 5. What should I be looking for here? I got 7 on one side and 5 on the other. It is somewhat of an Apple/Orange thing to me.

I have kind of a clue when it comes to electrical but I am no ‘propeller-head’ at this electrical game. :roll:

Any thoughts?

HaaaAAAAAaaalp (and thanks!) :mrgreen:

Kevin G.

kevin, the problem is in the first three words of your #1....Dodge....some how some way that Dodge is going to be the root of your problem...

Kevin G.":ct5pplli said:
...Oh, the swim ladder went into the garage as well. I don’t think I plan to take a dip while fishing for Albacore!...

I wouldn't ditch the swim ladder. What if someone (um, on the heavy side) fell overboard? Can EVERYONE you plan to take out into big water climb back into the boat without the assistance of a swim ladder? If the answer to that question is "I don't know" or "No," then please put it back on.

Dave

aka

Hello CP folks,

Well . . . I have ‘point to pointed’ all wiring on the truck, plug receiver and the adaptor.

I even took the adaptor apart and added a drop or two of silver solder to where the spade lug terminals were crimped to the wires internally.

Everything checks out to spec . . . even under a 9.5 AMP load!

Nutz . . .

After several calls to my mechanic, Pacific Trailers and my buddy . . . all of us have the ‘Deer In The Headlight’ look.

The ONLY thing that Pacific Trailer could think of was that the transfer lot that I pick up and drop off EP from: is sloped fairly well. I am CLEARLY backing up, uphill. This is by ehhhhh 2 - 2.5 foot upslope from where I stop after initial alignment to the lane: and start the back up process.

PERHAPS the brake fluid level is low on the trailer and this allows (owing to the weight of the motors, boat, full fuel and trailer) the rig to move forward SLIGHTLY (when I stop and put the rig into reverse) to compress the brake system JUST enough to engage the brake system. When I back up, the brake system completely engages.

Empty Pockets will be pulled from the indoor facility and placed in the transfer yard tomorrow. I have permission to ‘work’ on the trailer in the transfer yard (a BIG no-no).

I am taking a:

1. Tool kit.
2. Level.
3. Brake fluid.
4. A ‘custom cut’ 2x4.
5. A floor Jack.
6. Multi Meter.
7. Several large blocks of wood to ensure I have the trailer level.

I plan on checking the fluid level once I ensure I have the trailer level, it would be swell if this was the problem . . . I’ll keep my fingers crossed. I also plan on having my buddy listen and feel for the engagement of the solenoid when I put the truck into reverse.

I metered 12.45 Volts going to the output pin on the brake pin when the truck was running and in reverse. Under a 9.5 AMP load, it was still getting 11.85 Volts.

9.5 AMP is pretty much the load created by every light on the truck being on: through one line.

11.85 V under 9.5A load is a pass in my book.

I know the current is flowing correctly and that the Volts and AMP flow and load are just fine.

I spoke to the storage facility again today and spoke with the person that pulls out and puts away my boat. Stu has never had any problem what so ever backing EP up. They use the same adaptor that I use and I verified what pin-out is that they are sending the current through was the same.

My truck didn’t ‘magically’ rewire itself overnight . . .

I ‘spose I will find out tomorrow after work.

Wish me luck . . . so far there is a bunch of us that are stumped.

Kevin G.

passingwindII . . . I really like my truck and my buddy tows his Osprey 27LC with his Ford 350 and he really WANTS my truck.

Dave . . . good point. I have a full beam Armstrong bracket. When in the water, it is just a tick above. It would be easy to get on the bracket and then over the transom.

Though you do make a good point . . . no room for an argument there at all.

Hey Kevin,

I'm a little confused. Do you have electric brakes, or surge brakes? From you describing putting a 2x4 in between the coupler (surge brakes) it sounds like you are describing a mechanical brake assy, not electric trailer brakes.

If you completely unplug the wiring, does it lock up?

I had a similar problem on our old boat and it's caused from a worn out spring in the surge assy. Happened for a long time and the 2x4 tactic worked for a long time.

Do you have a trailer brake controller? The only way you can put a 2x4 in between the surge assy, is with surge brakes... Might want to check that again. When towing my 5th wheel, it has electric brakes and if I unplug the harness, it causes holy hell, sets off alarms and tells me the trailer is disconnected. When I plug in my Parker (EZ Loader Trailer) it doesn't care... just bypasses the trailer brakes, because the trailer is surge.

In this picture, part # 44 was replaced and fixed the problem for me.
6848546-0-display.jpg

Hey Chris and CP folks!

I am back from the trailer trip.

Problem solved. :mrgreen:

There was a short on the power wire to the brake solenoid on the trailer. The person that built the trailer didn’t correctly use ONE of the wire loops on the trailer.

The wires normally pass through a rubber grommet loop. This grommet is clamped on to the trailer frame. On this one, the wires were clamped down UNDER the grommet mounting clamp. :!: :?: :!:

Smashed ‘em pretty good too . . . :roll:

The power wire was rubbed through and most of the wire strands were broken and shorting (quite nicely . . . thankyouverymuch) to the trailer frame. No solenoid action at all. It is a wonder it didn’t fry my truck’s circuits as well.

We cut the bad section out and used a splicing clamshell filled with silicone to re-connect the two good ends . . . THROUGH the rubber grommet (thankyouverymuch).

Sheesh.

I drove it around the lot and backed it uphill into several lanes . . . all is well with the world now. :mrgreen:

I am splashing Empty Pockets this Sunday at Moss Landing to complete the data install of the Auto Pilot and generally mess around . . . perhaps catch a Rock Fish or three.

Tuna Time is about 3 or so weeks away. They are catching them 30 to 70 miles out of San Diego now . . . there is a really nice (connected) finger of warm, blue water heading our way.

I am Jones’n sooOOOooo bad for a Tuna fix.

Kevin G.

passingwindII : Fortunately it had nothing to do with my Dodge truck and its wiring one iota.

Dave, I am putting the swim ladder back on the boat. ‘Nuff said. Yup.

I wouldn't ditch the swim ladder. What if someone (um, on the heavy side) fell overboard? Can EVERYONE you plan to take out into big water climb back into the boat without the assistance of a swim ladder?

If you got a fatty riding along on the boat, install a hoist... might come in handy if you catch a Bluefin also. Ditch the swim ladder.

Glad you got the problem solved Kevin... look forward to seeing you on the tuna stompin grounds in the next couple of weeks.

Lauching Saturday morning if you're up to it. We're doing a hali and rock trip now that the weather has settled down a little...... also watching the latest MODAS and tempbreak to see what's in store. A couple guys in Oregon went out today for longfins.. waiting for reports.

By the way, if you had a real truck, you don't need trailer brakes! HAHAHAHA

Latest posts

Back