I/O vs Outboard

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Have you ever owned a I/O?

Most that have never want one again.

Harder to work on, due to stuffing them in a small area and they take up more deck space.

I/Os perform pretty well but they don't fare well in salt water. They can be very troublesome, and expensive to repair. For freshwater or if you trailer and flush the engine each time, maybe... I know a lot of people swear by them but I agree with warthog,I for one will NEVER own another.

Never owned an I/O, but I would think the bellows would need to be replaced on a schedule, much like any maintenance item.
I'm sure there are other maintenance details specific to an I/O versus an outboard as well.

Yes I've own one before and I really didn't have any issues with the outdrive other then replacing the manifolds once.The reason I asked was I was interested in a 2520 that had everything I want at a reasonable price but with an I/O.I was wondering how they rode vs the OB.The one I looking at is fresh water cooled which would help with saltwater corrosion. Thanks for all opinions.

Well, have 2520 with 5.7 Volvo Penta which was repowered when I bought it 2 years ago. Being 62 I have a great tech who does the work. Replaced original coupling boat is 1997 when I bought it. No problems but it is maintained by pro. I am happy with it don't find lost deck a problem and like fishing with free transom. The repowering was a fraction of an outboard for the owner I bought it from. Had an hour when purchased as owner was sick.When I was younger had many outboards. When they went they were done and very expensive to replace. Just my 2 cents. :?:

Steve

"The repowering was a fraction of an outboard"

That's why I snapped up the 2520 inboard I have. I can re-power for 20-25% of the cost of a new outboard. I looked at shamrocks and 2 old grady-white 25 inboards but the pilothouse and this site sold me on the Parker, what a great boat! The transom is wide open inside and out for fishing, and having the weight of the engine up fwd is key. You might think the engine box is a hinderance but it's not. It makes a graet work platform, or seat with the cushion I added.

Thanks Steve and Twoboater,I agree about the cost of repowering.My buddy just spent 22,000 for a Etec for his 2520.I have an outboard on my Aquasport 245 and the lower end cost me 2000.this boat I'm looking at had every thing rebuilt last year so that's a plus.Thanks for the input.

Enjoy the 2520 I/O it is a great boat. And of course it is a Parker.

Steve :D

I have a 2520 with a mercruiser bravo3 IO. I have only had it since July but I did get out quit a bit. Rides great, can't comment on the maintenance because I too am an outboard guy. I price was right and it got me in a great boat.

I've had both. Had a Yamaha outboard on a Whaler that was kept on a trailer with meticulous maintenance. A month after selling to my Brother in law, the lower unit gear housing cracked and found the cooling jacket rotted out.
Next boat was a 24' center console with a 225 Yammie 2 stroke. Didn't keep it too long, fuel bills were killing me.
My Parker has a Volvo diesel. Way better fuel economy but every other season seems to bring a repair bill that brings tears to my eyes. Can't justify the cost of any of it but on those certain days when everything is running well and the fish are biting, it seems all worth it.

I've had the outdrive rebuilt once, and have had to replace both hydraulic rams (one at a time) but most of the repairs and expense has been for various engine components/systems. No Volvo parts are cheap. One of the worst issues I have is how hard it is to remove and replace the batteries in that crowded engine compartment.

One of the worst issues I have is how hard it is to remove and replace the batteries in that crowded engine compartment.

Just one of the things....Removing the Starter on some is another. Getting to the back bolts of manifolds. Oil pans rusting out.

Late comment.

Fresh water cooled will extend motor life, if other systems are kept up on the I/O's engine.

Have a '96 2530 with Volvo I/O.

Can get better mileage potentially. Can be quieter. Less cockpit but can use engine cover for seating. I too have a cushion on it.

Volvo outdrives are sturdy. Bonus, if you get it, Volvo and Mercruiser have two props.

Older models do not trim up as much in shallow water.

You have one in mind, slim pickings as time marches on since no I/O's supplied for years.
Lot of old threads on outboard versus I/O.

Dana

I've had Yamaha, Honda, Etec. I've never liked the idea of an i/o.

Then I bought a 40 year old boat with a Volvo Penta i/o because it was that boat or nothing. I'd read about the cost of parts and was terrified at first but came to find out the motor is actually a small block Chevy and even though the outdrive is ancient and no longer supported by VP, my worries were totally eliminated when I bought a complete working spare on eBay for $80.

The drive is so old it doesn't even have trim...just a mechanical tilt to get the outdrive up while on the trailer...but it hasn't been a problem for me especially using two depth sounders -- one well forward in the hull and one at the transom. The transom sounder alarms at about 15' telling me to slow down and the forward one alarms at about 3 feet which gives me at least 20' before the outdrive gets into trouble.

So, today, I'd give the i/o a slight edge over an outboard, but we don't fish.

Just wondering why Parker discontinued I/O? Particularly on 28 and 34 boats. And why only Yamaha power? Is it all a matter of cost? Seems like there is a market for power options other then Yamaha.

Steve

Steve, short answers, were not enough I/O's being ordered and Parker went to all outboards.

Just one outboard supplier, improved pricing to Parker.

Other companies were pushing outboards to get more space as horsepower went up to compete with I/O's.

Yamaha was big in outboards, already was with Parker though some dealers before then would rig a couple others.

Back