Ideas for fixing sheared bolt on West Coast Railing

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pfish

Reaction score
Guys/Gals!

Like the post said, I need some ideas for fixing a sheared bolt on a 2320 Parker with West Coast Railing. Below is a picture showing a sheared bolt of about 3/4 of an inch still intact. My initial idea is to get a bolt with a modified flange that I can secure it from underneath along with Epoxy between metal and boat. Any ideas on how to do this? I guess I could also cut off the railing at the base and have them weld another SS bolt inside the railing? Just curious if the board has had any experience with these things. Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• Parker.JPG
    Parker.JPG
    30.8 KB · Views: 158
Is the bottom of the railing tapped for the existing bolt? Or was the existing stud welded to the rail? On my roof grab rails the base of the rail was tapped to accommodate a bolt. If that’s the case some heat and multiple soaks with penetrating oil may do it.

One possible way to salvage it would be to use a short threaded rod coupling. You would have to make the hole thru the hull larger to accommodate this.

https://www.mcmaster.com/threaded-rod-coupling-nuts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Existing bolt is welded to the rail--It will not turn or move. I have thought about the coupler. But, I am going to try and bolt what is left with a flange.

As a last resort I would avoid cutting off the bottom of the rail. A good tig welder could simply weld a stud onto the existing stud for some added length. Even if the weld is not perfect looking it would be hidden. Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mark!

Now that is an excellent idea!! Thanks much my friend!

Back