Install Kicker motor 2320SL Armstrong bracket

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hali-Bootie

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey guys. I recently purchased my first parker 2320 Sl and an wanting to mount a 40HP Yamaha 4 stroke as a Kicker motor. I have all controls for the kicker. is there a special bracket that mounts to the armstrong bracket to do this? I do see 4 extra bolts holes plugged up with rubber plugs on port side of main engine and looks to be factory. Also any ideas where to mount Kicker controls? I current have a second helm station on starboard side 1/3 way down on deck. Ideas?

Hey guys. I recently purchased my first parker 2320 Sl and an wanting to mount a 40HP Yamaha 4 stroke as a Kicker motor. I have all controls for the kicker. is there a special bracket that mounts to the armstrong bracket to do this? I do see 4 extra bolts holes plugged up with rubber plugs on port side of main engine and looks to be factory. Also any ideas where to mount Kicker controls? I current have a second helm station on starboard side 1/3 way down on deck. Ideas?
Hey Hali, Welcome to CP!.... Yes, those 4 bolt holes are where a kicker bracket can be installed. I have to say I've never seen a kicker as large as a 40 HP motor mounted to one; I'd be surprised if the add-on kicker bracket would be rated for a motor that large. I'm just surmising; I don't know for a fact that that is the case.

i would like to see how one is mounted. I have seen up to a 50 HP kicker mounted on same boat when i was in Alaska. Hence this is where this boat is headed and the reason to put on the 40HP. Plus i am getting it for free. :)

I think your making a mistake.... What is your goal?

That engine will not plane the boat.

The goal is to use it for trolling and to get back home if the main engine dies. When out in Gulf of Alaska, there are not many towboat companies you can call for help. I'll be running 40-45 mile trips regularly unless to go to Kodiak which i believe is 170 Mile run. Be nice to have some backup in case. LOL

The goal is to use it for trolling and to get back home if the main engine dies. When out in Gulf of Alaska, there are not many towboat companies you can call for help. I'll be running 40-45 mile trips regularly unless to go to Kodiak which i believe is 170 Mile run. Be nice to have some backup in case. LOL
A 40 hp is not going to get you on plane in a 2320. Torque is what’s important and a Yamaha 9.9 high thrust for example is geared to spin a bigger prop. I would imagine you may get a few more mph with a 40 hp but you’re adding more weight to an already stern heavy boat compared to the performance you gain. I could see the newer Yamaha 25 hp as a consideration as they weigh under 130 lbs and you get EFI but you’re still not going to see much more in WOT speed. We are talking displacements speeds with these power plants. I have my 9.9 to keep hours off my main and start me back to port in case of my main goes down. This is why I have tow service

purpose for the 40Hp is not to get me on plane. It is to troll and get me home safely in case big motor dies. No more and no less. if i had good tow service in Alaska it may be different

purpose for the 40Hp is not to get me on plane. It is to troll and get me home safely in case big motor dies. No more and no less. if i had good tow service in Alaska it may be different
A Yamaha 40hp is more than twice the weight of a T9.9. The point is you get the torque you need to get to displacement speeds, 6-7 knots with a T9.9. To push past that barrier you’ll need more than a 40hp. I see it’s free so do what you want. As far as the bracket you can find it on Cecil marine. Not sure what horsepower it’s rated for though. Mine is pictured below

Attachments

• AB073CDD-5C76-4228-84A8-5030C5E75F6F.jpeg
    AB073CDD-5C76-4228-84A8-5030C5E75F6F.jpeg
    755.6 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
A Yamaha 40hp is more than twice the weight of a T9.9. The point is you get the torque your need to get to displacement speeds, 6-7 knots with a T9.9. To push past that barrier you’ll need more than a 40hp. I see it’s free so do what you want. As far as the bracket you can find it on Cecil marine. Not sure what horsepower it’s rated for though. Mine is pictured below
Cecil Marine lists it for $399.99 plus shipping. (They have 7 in stock). Their web site lists all the specs, except for the HP rating; I was surprised they didn't mention the HP rating. Also surprising is that Armstrong does not show, list nor even mention the availability of one on their website.... It might require a phone call for that information.

Ok guys. This thread is old and things have changed. You all were right that the 40 HP Yamaha was to heavy for the kicker bracket and therefore not a good option. I researched the Yamaha 9.9 High thrust and the cost was around 4000.00 and weighed in at 114 Lbs dry without trim/tilt and electric start. I contemplated this option, However the cons were carburation and 3 year warranty. In order to get fuel injection in the Yamaha, i would have to go to the 20HP model which weighs in at 147 lbs dry. After comparing Yamaha, Suzuki, and Honda, I think i am going with the Suzuki DF20ATLW5 20 HP in white. The total weight is 120 Lbs with Trim/Tilt electric start fuel injected with all controls. I can get at Boat Max in Florida with free shipping, no sales tax to my door with 5 year warranty for 3729.99 in in white or 3639.99 in Black. That is with a 20" shaft, So my question is; Is the 20" shaft the correct shaft to use on the Armstrong bracket with the Parker kicker bracket? If so. I am going to order on Monday 26 Dec. What are you thoughts?

The #1 reason that the Big engine will not run is Bad fuel..... The kicker will share that same fuel.

I think your expectations for a 20 hp vs a true high thrust 9.9 like the Yamaha are off. The difference in displacement speeds will be minimal. That being said Suzuki’s are good motors and I was shocked by the weight of their 20. To answer your question though you need the XL shaft or 25”

So. If i need a 25" shaft, Then the 20 HP Suzuki is no longer an option. Longest shaft i can get with that is 20" So now i am back to a 9.9. Obviously a Yamaha or a Suzuki. I am still leaning towards a Suzuki as they are fuel injected and Yamaha is not. Plus warranty of Suzuki is 5 years vs 3 Years for a Yamaha Carbureted model. Thoughts?

Wouldn’t even be a second thought for me. Yes I like efi but the carbureted 9.9 is extremely dependable. I had one on my North River and when I bought my Parker I bought a new 2022 yami 9.9 for it. I knew there were other options with efi for less money. Not all 9.9’s that claim to be high thrust have the lower end gearing to spin a bigger prop. I think if you called around to all the different shops in your area they would recommend Yamaha in that hp range

Responding to an old post here but I haven't been on the forums in a while. I have a 2510 with a T25 Yamaha EFI kicker. I had an 8 Yamaha on my former boat. The 8 was reliable but cold blooded. I picked the 25 for EFI, otherwise it would have been a 9.9. I'm in the great lakes and have always used kickers for trolling. The 25 is not too heavy and works perfectly with a remote trolling control (one of those electronic controls with a little pot). Like it's been said though the max speed with the 25 is no different than the 9.9. Once you get in the 6-7mph range the kicker is really running hard, but at 1.5-3mph it purrs all day.

Howdy fellas, Well i decided to go with the 20 EFI Suzuki. Have it here and ready to install. So i bought the kicker motor bracket and when i went to install motor on bracket, the 2 ea top engine mounting screws bottom out before they even touch the bracket., I am wondering what you guys used for a spacer? Needs to be 1 1/2 to 2". Any thought's besides wood which is a very bad idea, Please advise and thanks

Responding to an old post here but I haven't been on the forums in a while. I have a 2510 with a T25 Yamaha EFI kicker. I had an 8 Yamaha on my former boat. The 8 was reliable but cold blooded. I picked the 25 for EFI, otherwise it would have been a 9.9. I'm in the great lakes and have always used kickers for trolling. The 25 is not too heavy and works perfectly with a remote trolling control (one of those electronic controls with a little pot). Like it's been said though the max speed with the 25 is no different than the 9.9. Once you get in the 6-7mph range the kicker is really running hard, but at 1.5-3mph it purrs all day.

Thank you for posting real life comparisons. I’ve tried explaining it but hopefully your experience will help those trying to decide on a kicker

Howdy fellas, Well i decided to go with the 20 EFI Suzuki. Have it here and ready to install. So i bought the kicker motor bracket and when i went to install motor on bracket, the 2 ea top engine mounting screws bottom out before they even touch the bracket., I am wondering what you guys used for a spacer? Needs to be 1 1/2 to 2". Any thought's besides wood which is a very bad idea, Please advise and thanks
I’m confused I thought you couldn’t get an XL shaft with the zuk? What bracket did you buy? If you bought the Cecil marine one it should have came with a backing plate like pictured below. That bracket is only rated for a 15hp motor though

Attachments

• IMG_4566.png
    IMG_4566.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 1
Back