Installing Parker Rod Holder

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crsantonio

Reaction score
I bought 2 slightly used Parker Rod Holders. I have a 2019 23 SE. I have 2 questions on mounting them on the gunwale. What size and type of mounting bolts would be best to use? And, do I need a backing plate to mount them? Thanks In advance!

I bought 2 slightly used Parker Rod Holders. I have a 2019 23 SE. I have 2 questions on mounting them on the gunwale. What size and type of mounting bolts would be best to use? And, do I need a backing plate to mount them? Thanks In advance!

Tough to say the exact size hardware needed. I believe your covering boards are probably about 1” thick, so I’d mock that up with the rod holder, backing plate, and hardware and leave yourself a little room to spare. You can sometimes use a big C clamp or something similar as a giant set of calipers to measure for yourself. I would use oval head 316SS machine screws with nylock nuts to mount them.

I’d recommend backing plates, as the way the bolts sit near the tube of the rod holder leaves very little room for washers on the underside. I’m pretty sure the Parker branded rod holders are manufactured by CE Smith; they offer a backing plate that will likely fit.

Thank you Palegic2530! Much appreciate your suggestion. I will look into the backplate for CE Smith rod holders.

Last edited:
Just installed 4 to my boat. Make a rig to drill a pilot hole at 15 or 30 degree and than follow it with hole saw. Make it as close to tube diameter as possible. Tape the bottom of the hole with masking tape and seal off ply with gently thickened epoxy. After it sets fit in rod holder and drill holes with error somewhat away from the tube. 4200 it in with Gemilux backing plate and lock nuts.

Pelagic2530 is correct that CE Smith made the stamped Parker rod holders (white vinyl "removable" insert) at one time but now they are made by Gemlux (black colored "pinned" insert). If they look like this but with Parker stamp:
https://gemlux.com/collections/coastal-fishing-rod-holders/products/4141The backing plate is this:
https://gemlux.com/collections/coastal-fishing-rod-holders/products/4272
Yeah, it's a tough call sometimes with the OEM parts. I have 4 that I installed in my 1700 that have the black inserts, but based on the shape of the "head" (more rectangular than the Gemlux pictured) I'd be willing to bet that they're CE Smiths. They match in pretty much every other way.

That said, they fit pretty close to the old ones that I removed, and most backing plates have a little bit of play built into the fastener holes that I'd imagine will allow them a pretty close fit. It would be interesting (if pricey) to buy one of each backing plate and see what fits or doesn't.

As posted above, the Gemlux deluxe rod holders and the Gemlux backing plates are an identical match. (less the Parker stamp) on my 2021 2320. I added a single Lees HD 15degree in the far aft stbd corner facing back and two just aft to the pilothouse bulkhead on either side in the washboard. Yes, backing plate is a must as well as UV4000 fast cure adhesive sealant between all hardware and backing plate.
My cockpit rod holders did not come from the factory w/ backing plates, so I added them.

Pelagic2530 is correct that CE Smith made the stamped Parker rod holders (white vinyl "removable" insert) at one time but now they are made by Gemlux (black colored "pinned" insert). If they look like this but with Parker stamp:
https://gemlux.com/collections/coastal-fishing-rod-holders/products/4141The backing plate is this:
https://gemlux.com/collections/coastal-fishing-rod-holders/products/4272

Thank you jpg1969...your input! Mine also has the black inserts. I will check out getting the back plating. I checked the parker rod holders that came with the boat and they do not have the back plating.

As posted above, the Gemlux deluxe rod holders and the Gemlux backing plates are an identical match. (less the Parker stamp) on my 2021 2320. I added a single Lees HD 15degree in the far aft stbd corner facing back and two just aft to the pilothouse bulkhead on either side in the washboard. Yes, backing plate is a must as well as UV4000 fast cure adhesive sealant between all hardware and backing plate.
My cockpit rod holders did not come from the factory w/ backing plates, so I added them.

Thank you sydngoose...I am getting the back plating...the extra protection for an additional $9/holder is worth it!

Back