Is a 200 HPDI sufficient

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jim

Reaction score
I'm looking at buying a 2001 2520 Sport Cabin with yamaha 200 HP HPDI enginge. I would appreciate input on whether or not this is enough power for the boat. Does anybody know what the factory would have used for a standard motor in 2001? Also, any ideas on a fair selling price would be appreciated. THanks

I doubt it....if that's what's on the boat, take it for a spin, and see how it performs.. 2520 is a large heavy boat...I run a 23SE with a 200 four stroke, and I wish I had a 225 sometimes. Take in to account, weight of full fuel tanks, gear, people, etc. If it performs just "OK" without all the weight, it probably won't perform well with the weight.

there are a lot of 2520s with F225's. I bet the DFI 200 HPDI would give as good if not slightly better performance than the F225. One way to find out is a test ride.

I have heard figures batted around about the true power output of the F225 being much less than the advertised 225 that is lettered on the cowl. I've also been told that the actual power output of any motor can be as much as 10% off of the advertised rating (high or low), and still be in compliance with applicable laws governing truth in advertising.

Having said that, the 200 HPDI has always had a good reputation as a reliable (and strong) powerplant, so I would agree with the others. Take her for a run and see how she does.

I have a 200-hp HPDI on my 23 SE. It has been a highly dependable motor with more power than I need for that hull. I do not have any advice on whether it is sufficient for a 25' mod-V hull.

Way underpowered IMO. For the most part you will generally get better gas mileage with a larger motor not working too hard than a marginal motor working at the top of its range.

I have an 89 2520 Sportcabin with the original 200 Yammy 2S )carbed).
not a direct comparison since the older hulls are a bit lighter than the newer ones but close enough. I don't find the boat underpowered at all, jumps right on plane and runs 28mph@4000, 39mph @ 5200, and 43@ 5600 (WOT). When I eventually repower a 250 will go on, but the 200 is more than adequate.
like others said, load her up and go for a test ride.

Back