just bought my first boat

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
An 18 with a 150 on it ought to fly!
Congratulations and good luck!

thanks, I tried to upload a pic, but it was too big, will take some new pics that I can post. It is fast, accelerates very quick, sometimes faster than I want in Louisiana bayous. I believe the prop is a high pitch and the hi jacker plates have the motor jacked up a bit, great for super skinny water.

One question I have: the boat has new steering, which is a single cable system. its hard to turn left at medium to full throttle, I'm hearing that a 150 is too much HP not to have hydraulic steering, what do you all think??? I have ordered a torque tab from bass pro, waiting on it to come in and can't wait to see what it does... has anyone used one before??
thanks,
Peter

There is a 'fin' under the cavitation plate that is probably set straight back.
Loosen the bolt and move it to the right (I believe) and re-tighten.
Take her out for a test run and I think you will find your problem is solved.

Look closely in this photo and you can see that fin.

web.jpg

thanks for the input; I did adjust that trim tab (to the left actually) and it did make a difference, but the steering is still to tough, I ordered a torque tab from bass pro and will install it this weekend and hope to make a quick test run in the lake. If it is still tight, I will bite the bullet and get hydraulic steering installed....

just a thought :idea:

have you tried trimming the engine up a little more? i have hyd. steering and it still gets sticky if I dont tilt the engine up a little bit.

Yeah, I tried trimming out the motor at various speeds and degrees of trim, basically at 1/2 to full throttle, its too hard. I did install the torque tab and took the boat out in the river, it did make a big improvement, I can at least turn the boat left even at full throttle which is nice when I need to avoid crab traps, etc.. I fished with a client/friend a few days ago, he as a 22' blazer bay with a 200 yam. He has the sea star hydraulic steering and it was like butter - I want it!!

It likely has to do with your high engine height and/or prop model/type. I think if your engine is running high enough out of the water the little torque tab under the cavitation plate may not be enough. It is basically out of the water. I personally have never experienced that though. The tab you purchased went on the skeg right? That should work no matter the height.

We once had a 23 Mako with a 225 evinrude with no assist, just a regular cable. It was fine.

No need for hydraulic. I had NFB cable on my 20' Grady w/ 150 Merc and it was very easy to steer.

Latest posts

Back