Kicker Install Pic Intense Part 1 of 3

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheOtherLine

Reaction score
First of all, I want to Thank all of you who provided me with valuable info and guidance on this project!. I just love this site.

Probably a snap project for most of you but for me it was a learning experience.

I'm glad I did it though because now I feel a little more comfortable heading out 80-100 miles, having a backup motor. I know that bad fuel is the major problem for most breakdowns but I'll know if I have bad fuel well before I reach 80 miles out.

I decided not to use the tie bar to connect the kicker to the main motor for now. I've been told that the main engine shaft acts as a good rudder. We'll see. For now, I'll lock the kicker in place, lock down the throttle and steer from the helm.

I wound up finding a NIB 2006 that matched my 2006 F250 graphics. 6 year warranty. After much deliberation, I decided on the 25" shaft. My conclusion was that if I had a transom mount motor, the 20" would have been just fine.

Also decided on the T8. While my kicker has electric start, I liked the idea of having the manual pull start cord built into the cowling. The T9 doesn't have that feature. You'd have to pull the cowling off, wrap and pull. Don't think the lower horse power will be detrimental. Besides, this motor was $800 less than the best T9 price I could find.

OK. Let's see if I can walk through these steps coherently.[/b]

Attachments

• before.jpg
    before.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 933
  • Armstrong pre drilled.jpg
    Armstrong pre drilled.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 933
  • transom core 2 and half inches.jpg
    transom core 2 and half inches.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 933
  • boot holes.jpg
    boot holes.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 932
  • fuel hose assembly.jpg
    fuel hose assembly.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 932
  • bracket backing plate.jpg
    bracket backing plate.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 932
Steering with the main engine will only work in dead calm conditions. With the size of that boat, any head wind or current, you’ll be turning the wheel lock to lock just to keep the boat straight—never mind making headway. With the tie bar, you can engage the autopilot, kick back and relax. The kicker uses very little gas (about 5 mpg) and puts out enough electricity for most of your needs. Nice project BTW.

Phil":1hqwnjga said:
Steering with the main engine will only work in dead calm conditions. With the size of that boat, any head wind or current, you’ll be turning the wheel lock to lock just to keep the boat straight—never mind making headway. With the tie bar, you can engage the autopilot, kick back and relax. The kicker uses very little gas (about 5 mpg) and puts out enough electricity for most of your needs. Nice project BTW.

Makes perfect sense. I'm starting to look at the teleflex tie rod kits but I'm finding it difficult to figure out which part number I would order.

What about those OB-to-Kicker tie-rods that Cabelas sells? Some mount on front and have a 'tension' device so that they steer together, but in an emergency, the steering defaults to the main OB. From reading on-line, it seems many prefer these, as either OB can be trimmed up or down and it still works.

P.S. - NICE documentation Jim and I'm glad the CP research and input proved valuable for you! In essence ... that's what CP is all about! Sharing good ideas and documenting them so others can do it too.

DaleH said:
What about those OB-to-Kicker tie-rods that Cabelas sells? Some mount on front and have a 'tension' device so that they steer together, but in an emergency, the steering defaults to the main OB.

From reading on-line, it seems many prefer these, as either OB can be trimmed up or down and it still works.
quote]

I have not seen any pics of how the "tension device" is mounted. The EZ steer product mounts to the FOOT of the main motor and kicker. I don't like that.

If the Cabelas version mount to the joint where the hydraulics connect to the motor, I would be OK with that.

Independant control of tilt position for both motors is a plus.

I'll go back on line and see if I can find a pic of a Cabela's product installed on something...

Thanks

I have the EZ-Steer because my main engine is mounted on the transom and the kicker is on a bracket. It works well but it could be potentially dangerous to install it it rough seas. Since your kicker is mounted transon bracket with a straight shot to the main, the part below should work fine and be an easy install. Get the hydraulic adapter to tie into the main.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templ ... d=cat21322

Back