Kicker re-configuration help please, 1997 2320 transom mount

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MadGar

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Southern Maryland, Chesapeake/Potomac River
I purchased a 2320 off this site a couple of months ago and am slowly configuring it the way I want it. It came with a kicker motor that at first I was just going to remove but have decided to use it and get it set up right. I need a little help to determine a better way to configure the cables accessing the kicker motor. Can (or should) I come straight out of the transom. If so is there a way to minimize the chance of water entering. I'm a little lost with the best way to approach this and the current way it is setup isn't working (and not protected). I've posted a pic. It shows how the setup currently configured and the damage apparently caused by raising and lowering the motor (prior to me getting the boat)

Recently I purchased new cables (again from this site (love this site)) and ran them this evening, I just want to know if I should set up as current config, or something better. Any help/ideas would be greatly appreciated. I would like to see others setup with port side installed kicker, but not on Armstrong bracket

Sorry pic isn't best, I'll get some more tomorrow
Kevin

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    16.2 KB · Views: 140
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 131
Just out of curiosity, did my post not make sense or would better pics help? :? I really would like to know if it is not a good idea to come straight out of my transom with the cables or not because I've only seen that done on boats with brackets. Am I just overthinking it?
Kevin

Thanks for replying. All the pics I have currently are from the previous owner. I have taken these cables off and replaced with newer cables and re-routed through the rigging pipe in the boat. My question is, in the first picture would it be alright to come out of the area marked "A", enter into the area marked "B"? The cables will be protected with a rigging tube. In the second picture would it be ok to come out of the back of the boat (area "C") and into the motor? Of course I would try to put a loop in the cable to allow a bit more movement. Pic 3 shows a closer look at the broken cable that appears to happen when the motor is raised upwards. Also, all of the cables going into the main motor are in the process of being placed in a rigging tube also so the whole back will be clean up and neat (I hope).

Attachments

• Top View rigging.jpg
    Top View rigging.jpg
    138.6 KB · Views: 90
  • Kicker view2.png
    Kicker view2.png
    343.2 KB · Views: 90
  • Broken Cable.jpg
    Broken Cable.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 90
Gee, I wouldn't drill any more holes in my boat unless I really had to, especially the transom. For water-proofing there are several different types of cable glands that will minimize water intrusion. As for the broken cable I would check with your Yamaha guy and see if that cable bracket can be mounted under the hood of the motor, as most are. That really protrudes pretty far fwd.

Thanks twoboater, you're probably right about not putting anymore holes in the boat :shock: however I wish I had a better picture of what was happening before and how the cable was just getting bent when the motor tilted. As for mounting under the hood, I don't think that would be possible with this motor (older design). Most of these small kickers seem to be set up this way, atleast the ones I've seen.

The new cables I have purchased do seem to be much more flexible and forgiving (Teleflex Xtreme cables) and hopefully if I'm careful I can make it work the way it was. I was just hoping someone had some magic answer to solve all my woes :lol:

I do appreciate your response.

Back