Kodiak vs. Tie Down disk brake convertion

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scalawag 2320

Reaction score
I will be converting my Drum brakes to Disk brakes. Everyone has an opinion; I’d like to hear what you all think. Kodiak vs. Tie Down systems
2320 SC
Stored on trailer
Dumped into the ocean 30 times per year
Thoroughly washed daily

I switched to Kodiaks cadiums last winter. After five years I thought it was about time to upgrade and I'm glad I did. I found my old brakes were dry rotted, cracked, and falling apart. And I thought I did a pretty good job each time rinsing them off. I guess I was wrong.

I finally towed my boat to Rhode Island this past weekend and you could tell the new surge brakes were working. The brakes were easy to change and I would recommend doing the upgrade to cadiums.

FishFactory":2zgomy1o said:
IMO, Kodiac cadmium plated discs (their middle price set-up) all the way.

What Fish said...

I have two threads (with lots of pics) of my conversion to Kodiak disk. I'll try to find them in the projects folder. They are a couple of years old, so should be buried by lots of good projects. :D :D :D

Dave

aka

Glad to see this thread as my trailer came with drum brakes and will get my year or so out of them but will go to disk eventually.

The Tie Downs would be fine for someone who does minimal trailering (such as spring launch and fall retrieval). But 30+ dunkings a year warrants no less than Silver Cad. Kodiaks. I have them on my trailer and they seem to perform well.

This is exactly what I thought I would hear. Kodiak wins over Tiydown.
Drum systems have been lasting me 3 years with annual maintenance.
2 years ago I needed to completely replacing my drum backing plates. That year because my local dealer had them in stock and I needed to fix them ASAP I ended up staying with drums.
Where as my drums are still working, this year I have time to order Kodiak kits and get them in-hand so that I can replace them at my leasure. Any recommendations on best "$" source?

Potchucker I have read your project post many times for encouragement. I have included the very helpful and wounderfully link for any others that may need it.
Thanks all.
http://classicparker.com/phpBB2/viewtop ... 3f77f6b886

Back