Labeling Accessory Switches

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brian S

Reaction score
What do you guys do to label your accessory switches? I have all of mine in use and would like to have them labeled but not sure where/how to start. I would rather have the switches printed than place a sticker on or near them.

Brian,

I've been wondering the same thing. I put labels on the side, but the way they line up it's really hard to tell which switch they're for. Great post I hope someone has come up with something.

Hello guys, as megabyte said I manufacture panels. Labeling is usually the key ingredient in makeing a professional panel, I use a CNC laser to engrave the text right on the plate. this is the professional way to do it but obvously not everyone has a machine. You could label the switches themselves with stickers but they might not stick and due to your fingers touching them, they will peel eventually. You can get the actuators with print on them, but those too wear off eventually

Now i could help you guys with plates, that would be thre best way, just cut a new plate to mount your existing switches. Or another fix for that, I make a label that your switch fits into and then snaps into place on your panel, this keeps the label straight and in the right place or I can do whole strips that mount above the entire row of switches, this keeps it all straight, and uniform.. Unfourtunatly I have never found a permenant DIY solution for labeling boat panels.

Hey Scott! Thanks for checking in!

Just to give an idea of what Scott does... here are before and after shots of a Mako CC project panel.

Before

Mako001.jpg

After

Mako021.jpg

Mako025.jpg

If you want to see more, go to the link above, and peruse the forum postings. 8)

Scott- Can you post up some pictures of what it would look like? I was thinking more along the lines of actually printing on the switches themselves...

Here is a picture of my switches...the bottom 5 are just the accessory ones so I still trying to figure out what the best way to label will be.

P2050138.jpg

It's real hard to see what switch is which unless the label is on the switch itself. I would be interested in the switch covers. Can you tell us a price or pm one to us?

Brian,

My panel is a little older that yours, but this is what it looks like with a ruler as a point of reference .

Image-0FB293CFE93711DA.jpg

Image-0FB2CE04E93711DA.jpg

Image-0FB3294DE93711DA.jpg

Image-0FB3897AE93711DA.jpg

TopShot25":2xsj3wdg said:
It's real hard to see what switch is which unless the label is on the switch itself. I would be interested in the switch covers. Can you tell us a price or pm one to us?

Not really that hard to read, it depends on the setup of the panel, the way I do them, as you can see there is no doubt about what switch does what. The printed actuators are available, I never use them as it is considerd a DIY type of system instead of a real instrument panel, But in your cases it looks like your panel is a DIY out of the factory and there is little room for text on the panel( a few of the production companies did this for a while to cut the cost of buying professionally made panels). I can see what i can get from my supplier but there are about 200 different styles of actuators out there and getting them to match your existing ones will prove to be dificult. You might end up have to get a whole set. Which still is not that expensive either, I will make a few calls, I think the most they are are 5 bucks each or so but like i said I will have to check

To be honest I would do a new plate, you all have room on the right hand side of the breakers to extend the panel some. , a new plate is not expensive

Scott, I really like the new plates but with the label all the way over to the right you really can't tell which switch it lines up with very easy. You have to bend down to line it up.

I may just change out the switches one day and have you make me a face plate. Another thing I don't like about the set-up I have now,
(which is exactly like Brians), is at night you have to turn on a light to see the switches. My neighbor had one made that has a dark front and the labeling is cut out like you do. With it done that way a back light lets you clearly see what everything is and it looks awesome. I would have to replace all my switches and regroup. Maybe soon will see.

I don't care for the way my panel is lettered because it is difficult to determine what switch goes with what label.

I was constantly flipping the wrong switch for my Stbd wiper, so I ended up painting the top of the switch lever with white fingernail polish. Now when I'm in rough seas and need to cycle the wiper, it's easy to glance down and grab the switch that is marked.

I would love a re-designed panel that made the switch and its label a bit more defined. If making the switch panel wider would allow for better labeling, that might be the better solution. :)

Oh ok topshot, I though you have a rocker panel too. the toggle panels you both have are horrible, the switches are way too close together which is why you have a hard time distinguishing them. I am going to look them over and see if I can come up with a quick fix that will help out. My guess would be something like this pic here. buy having it mounted to the switch iteslf it should be clear what switch it belongs to, and I can make them so they cover all of the existing text. and you can see I put the little vutout int here to keep the lable striaght and it would have peel and stick backing to make sure it doesn't warp out

Then when you guys what new panels I can solve all the problems easily

Attachments

• PARKER FIX.jpg
    PARKER FIX.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 171
or this would work too

Attachments

• parkerfix2.jpg
    parkerfix2.jpg
    178.9 KB · Views: 168
TopShot25":1ysujd0o said:
Scott,

Brian and I have the rockers Kevin has the toggles. They look nice at the boat show but I would prefer a better layout.

ah ok getting a little confused haha, can you get me a straight on pic of the rocker panel? the pic above doesn't give me much to work with.

I think the best thing to do is get you guys something for this season that is cheap, quick and effective, then if later you feel you canot live with the layout we can talk replacement panel.

Unless you guys feel that you want to replace the panels now. You happen to have all the same components I use anyway (except for Kevin) so a plate would do you guys great for a final solution, but Kevin, I think in the end you are going to want the full replacement panel like you posted above.

Now reember too, I have no size or shape contraints, I can do whatever however.

I don't have a straight on picture at the moment. Do you have any pictures of panels you've done to give us ideas? I think a new layout is the way to go for me. Also can you make one like I was talking about that is back-lit. I think I would also put little LED's in to show what's on.

TopShot25":19ps32w4 said:
I don't have a straight on picture at the moment. Do you have any pictures of panels you've done to give us ideas? I think a new layout is the way to go for me. Also can you make one like I was talking about that is back-lit. I think I would also put little LED's in to show what's on.

The panel that Kevin posted withthe backlighting is one of mine and you can see more
here

www.vectorled.com

ScottC":1m5wpvsd said:
TopShot25":1m5wpvsd said:
Scott,

Brian and I have the rockers Kevin has the toggles. They look nice at the boat show but I would prefer a better layout.

ah ok getting a little confused haha, can you get me a straight on pic of the rocker panel? the pic above doesn't give me much to work with.

I have no size or shape contraints, I can do whatever however.

Scott, here is an example of what the rocker panels look like on most of the boats that have rockers instead of switches...

Attachments

• 12192008 053 (Small).jpg
    12192008 053 (Small).jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 139
ah ok thanks. there is plenty of room there to do whatever we need to. I would put the text between the switches and breakers, the plate would just need to be about an inch wider. and I could backlight it as well.

You guys are lucky, the components could be flipped over to one of my plates seeing Parker uses the same stuff unless there is corrosion.

Back