large walk-on deck hatch for inside cabin?

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SBH2OMan

Reaction score
Our boat is in the boat yard for the fuel tank replacement and it looks like they are late finishing a mega-yacht so we'll be waiting a couple of weeks for our job to get underway. In the mean time, I have access to the boat and I'm taking advantage of it being out of the water to do a bunch of needed work.

While cleaning out the forward bilge under the cabin (which had been soaked in gasoline) I was reminded that there is a really weird void there. Right in front of the threshold for the berth is a small pie tin hatch that provides access to a float switch and bilge pump. About 18" aft of that there appears to be a bulkhead - but it only extends about 1/2 up, creating a void (with no drain on top) that spans the hull but about 12" off the bottom and extends to the bulkhead below the cabin door.

My question is - what is in that void? Why is it there? Has anyone opened up their deck to add a hatch to access this area? (it could be used as "semi-dry" storage.). Wondering what sort of "walk-on" hatch might be s good fit that we could install.

Very curious about this...

not the best picture but I have two floor hatches that open in the cockpit area then a small hatch to access the forward bilge pump
5d882e671f7042eb2d472b36a76d4403.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A older (and dirtier) pic of the same area
d1fd8fea8ee80f3f35da872e8198a424.jpg

Interesting! So you have glassed-in tubs. That makes a lot of sense.

mheltunen":1a6o76rl said:
not the best picture but I have two floor hatches that open in the cockpit area then a small hatch to access the forward bilge pump
5d882e671f7042eb2d472b36a76d4403.jpg

Is that one long tub with two covers?

Again a old dirty picture but my house batteries are housed in the front of the tub
3e6dd0fb2edbf9d85382663eec55db12.jpg

Do you have 3 house batteries or is that battery on the starboard side the starting battery?

I might take advantage of this time out of the water to move all the batteries into a space u set the floor. That would move 100lbs off the stern...

SBH2OMan":3kysche8 said:
Do you have 3 house batteries or is that battery on the starboard side the starting battery?

I might take advantage of this time out of the water to move all the batteries into a space u set the floor. That would move 100lbs off the stern...

I have two house batteries (in the “tub” area) and a single starting battery on the starboard side under my seat.

Back