Lead core question

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CapeCodFrank

Reaction score
I got 100 yds of 45lb lead core for Christmas. I will be using it on a Penn 330 GTi reel. A few questions... Is 45lb test the right size? What kind of backing should I use? Any idea how much backing to spool onto the reel? How about the leader? What knots are recommended for attaching the backing to the lead core? I will be fishing for stripers around Cape Cod.

Thanks.

Charlie Soares wrote a great book called" Trolling for Trophy Bass in Daylight" Redtop Sporting Goods or On The Water has it for about $11. He gives it all away, in the book on how to set up lead core rig.
I use 36lb but 45 is fine. Backing about 50 yards of dacron or simular. Too much backing can limit the lead core amount. Then with blood or surgeon knot, attach lead core, 10 colors if you can. Then a good SPRO in line swivel(don't use a snap swivels right at the tube). Tie 10' of fluro #50 or leader material #50. More than 10' seemed to not be needed and can let the tube drift too much off bottom. Tie leader direct to tube. Your tube should have a swivel on its head so the two swivels get the job done. I really moved away from snap swivels at the tube or jig end like Mr Soares recomended. Much more stream line presentation. I gave info for T&W but the set up stays the same for anything you tie at the end of the leader.

Attachments

• P9030080.JPG
    P9030080.JPG
    53.1 KB · Views: 186
CapeCodFrank":m2uu25ym said:
I got 100 yds of 45lb lead core for Christmas. I will be using it on a Penn 330 GTi reel.
Frank:

I too use it on a Penn 330 GTi reel (my favorite for bass!). I split the 100-yards with another friend and have dacron backing as suggested, but enough to fill the reel spool neatly. I'll put the lead core on a spare 330 reel, connect lead core to the backing, and then crank it on and add backing 'til 'full enough', and then reverse the line by tying it onto the reel I intend to use it on. But I have spare reels lying around ;) .

For the connections, I use the same whip-finished connections like one uses for heavy flyline connections (I mean for stripers to school tuna, not those for light FW fishing) using braided loop-to-loop connections.

If you pack your reel and lead core into a box and ship it to me, I'll make the connections (1 on each end, for backing and for leaders) and will ship it back to you. Just costs you the shipping both ways. Or, take to Red Top or other shop and have them do it, might even be cheaper than the shipping co$ts to me!

Gentlemen,

Thank you for your replies. POGE, I will pick up that book, but your description is very clear. Dale, thank you very much for your kind offer, but I would like to learn to do this myself.

Thanks again.

Frank

Just finished spooling up a couple of reels and this is what I did.
Only difference is I use a penn 113H but I think the spool size is about the same. I tied 50 feet of 50# dacron tied with an albright knot to 100 feet of 45# lead core line,then a 100# swivel to 10 feet of 50# flourocarbon and last-
a 100# snap swivel using a polomar knot or any knot of your choice.
The reason I use heavy tackle is the cow I'm targeting is 60#s + !!! :)

But I agree with poge the people at red top are great and the On THE WATER magizine really teaches me alot always learning sommething new.
I head they just expanded to N.Y and N.J great mag.

Every body got to learn somewhere. :)

Back