Leaking Wynne windows / pics of tear down and some advice needed

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Island Dreamer

Reaction score
I've been in some rough seas and have had water leaking in to the window above the helm. The Wynne folks were very help and I purchased some of the weather stripping seals that runs on two locations of the window. These are the seals that compress down on each other when the wing nuts are tightened.
As you can see, there is some aluminum missing from corrosion. Structurally, the brackets that are there for tightening are still good but I'd like to do a little repair to the area with missing metal. I was thinking about some JB Weld to just give the seals something to lay flat against. Also, note that someone added some extra material around the bracket. Maybe it was an attempt to add more bulk to get the seals to stop a leak.
Any other recommendations to squeak a few more years out if these windows? How do I neutralize the aluminum oxidation?

Attachments

• IMG_4334.jpg
    IMG_4334.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 97
  • IMG_4335.jpg
    IMG_4335.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 101
  • IMG_4337.jpg
    IMG_4337.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 88
  • IMG_4338.jpg
    IMG_4338.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 78
  • IMG_4339.jpg
    IMG_4339.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 79
  • IMG_4340.jpg
    IMG_4340.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 83
  • IMG_4341.jpg
    IMG_4341.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 82
Fwiw
order new windows . Send Wynne fir model number and HIN. I expect the lead time 5 months
I think the windows are about $500 each so I need to just get them water tight till Im ready to upgrade. So many other things to address before the windows.

Wow, those are pretty far gone, that sux. Anyway, I have a 1999 2520 with original windows all around. Twice a year I take a rag, spray some fluid film on it and wipe everything down (frame (interior and exterior) including the gaskets, etc.) Leave it "wet", don't wipe it off. The fluid film keeps the gaskets from hardening and the aluminum from pitting. Also, in the offseason I keep the windows closed obviously, but not tightened down or locked. This keeps the gaskets from being depressed for a few months at least. Mine are still in damn near perfect condition. Good luck with yours.

For $500 the window is a piece of piss-poor engineering. There should have been one or two recessed channels in the frame to accept replaceable O-ring gaskets to prevent leakage. I tried all kinds of off-the-shelf gaskets and they never last long because of the heavy window and the pounding of the boat. I ended up applying a thick bead of marine grease in the frame, clamping it down with the wingnuts and wiping off the excess. This way I can still open the window if I need to-- although I have yet found on need to open the window in the 20 years since. Still no leaks and the window is still in good shape.

Woody wax has a metal restorer/protection kit. I use the sealant in the pilot house since the metal in there has a tendency to pit/corrode more than the metal on the outside. I wipe the sealant onto the aluminum window frames, seat pedestals and aluminum on the seats twice a year and don't even buff it off. Since those parts are not too shiny you don't even see it does a great job protecting the metal. Your window frames are not in good shape where they can be brought back to life, but this stuff will help slow the down the corrosion once you clean them up.

1622116712457.png

Maybe a little off subject, but this is the first post I’ve seen that pertains to the front windows. I have a 93 2530 and my front windows do not open. I’m curious if anyone has replaced their “rigid” windows with opening windows like these ? And if so, where did you source them etc ? Thanx in advance fir any input 👍

Quick update. I ended up using some JB Weld to fill in the void and create a flat spot for the adhesive seal to go around the window. I Replaced the seals that face the bow and have yet to do the second seal which face is the Stern. So far this one seal has managed to stop any leaking but I have yet to test it in really rough seas.
Next step is to remove the internal frame and sand and repaint it. I think I can get a few more years out of these windows.

Back