Leaving the boat on the water for the winter

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pennparkerh2o

Reaction score
I decided that I will leave my 2520 XL with an F250 on the water this winter so I can fish. I will lift the boat in the spring to get it bottom painted and perform all annual maintenance.

I know that I have to visit the boat on a regular basis to make sure snow doesnt accumilate and check the scuppers for ice. My marina doesnt freeze so that isnt a problem

What other precautions should i take for the boat and engine to make sure everything goes well for the winter?

Keep the engine down, otherwise, unless you have a head, I don't think there's much more to do. The water under your boat should keep anything from freezing in your bilge.

Just out of curiosity, why would it be important to leave the engine down? Seems like an invitation to ice damage or maybe galvanic corrosion if something goes wrong with the zincs etc.

I am thinking of leaving mine in the water too. I put a new coat of ablative paint on in the spring, will I need to pull and repaint next spring or will I be ok with existing paint ?

Scott-MD":3oedlo1c said:
Just out of curiosity, why would it be important to leave the engine down? Seems like an invitation to ice damage or maybe galvanic corrosion if something goes wrong with the zincs etc.

what can happen is with the engine up, rainwater or melted snow can collect and pool in the lower unit area. when it then freezes again, it expands and causes all sorts of havok, like cracking etc. not worth the hassle, weve left ours down for the last few seasons (we stay in pretty late) and havent had any problems other than crap growing on the lower units, but it comes off pretty easy, just raise the engine every once in awhile and hit it with a scrubbrush to keep it from accumulating.

Back