lenco tab not working

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FISHON

Reaction score
While doing monday checks on the parker,I found that the starboard tab would not operate. Port side is O.K. I figure it is either the switch or the actuator ,I'll switch leads to determine if it is the switch.I think it may be the actuator because of rust around the base near the tab coming from the stainless ram. If the actuator needs replacing is it possible with out having to fish new wires thru the transom up to the console. Noticed that the top of the actuator has a couple acorn nuts on top , can it be rewired with the old cable?

I had one go out on mine after being only about a year old. I thought it was the switch because the light on the defective one was off. I called Lenco and spoke to a very nice lady that told me she thought it was the actuator and probably not the switch. Mine were still under warranty so she sent me a new actuator and that was the problem. I sent the old one back and they paid the shipping. I just spliced into the existing cable near the batteries and it has worked fine ever since. Randy.

Called lenco this morning , and was told that the top is sealed and not to be opened. I have 2 spare actuators from a prior project and ready to replace the starboard side. I just wish the wire was a little more accessable in the spot where it comes thru the transom, there is no way I can get my hand on it. Maybe a visit to the local home depot to see if I can find a midget day laborer, and drop him head first into the bildge or the little kid next door.That is the main issue , the rest of the run to the console should be fine. Thanks Randy

Finally pulled out the old tab and wires, pulled the new stuff thru,bedded it with 4200 and started making the spices. Later on I spoke with a friend that has worked with lenco tabs before and says there is a short cut to replacing the actuators , just put the top and put on the new one. He goes on to say that he can do both sides in about 40 minutes. Freaking thanks after I'm done. One funny thing was my sister inlaw came by while I was doing this and wanted to help. She managed to fit thru that 13 x 23 hatch all the way up to her butt , head first. Let me tell ya it was something to see, then see tells me she could have gone further but her belt buckle got hung up on the lip of the hatch. Next time I've got to get photos. By the way she weddings and birthdays, ha ha ha :lol:

FISHON,

I have a replacement actuator that arrived yesterday and I would love to know more details on this short cut you spoke about. I can't get my hands on the wiring (21SE starboard side) yet and unfortunately I don't have a sister-in-law to fit through the hatch!!

Thanks in advance for any suggestions you or anyone else could provide.

Take a look at lencos web site. There is diagram of an actuator it will give you a general idea. The top has two nuts on top, you remove those first. Then pop off the top with a screw driver, placing the screw driver thru the mounting holes and start pulling the top off. Once the top is off you'll see that the wires coming thru the top are sealed and the top has a rubber 'O' ring. The two wires coming in go directly to the top of a little electric motor inside the body of the unit, they are fitted with little electical connecters that make them simple to remove. Since the wires are sealed with what looks like a form of epoxy, you may have to use the old cap and wires onto the new body and guts. When you pull the old one apart you'll see what I'm talking about . I apolagize for my lack of computer skills , pictures would make this a lot better. By the way the lady I spoke with at Lenco said NO before I had a chance to ask about taking them apart, she already knew where I was going.

I'll take the old one apart and if it looks like I can tackle this without damaging the new one, I might go that route. When I originally talked to Christian at Lenco, I started to go there with this idea as well and she abruptly ended my thoughts too.

Thanks for the details. SS

SALT SHAKER, let us know what you end up doing and how it works out for you. I completed my actuator replacement and every thing is back to normal, I did notice when I took the old actuator apart that the electric motor inside had rust and corrosion on it , possibly from the two seals that are on the stainess shaft leaking thru. I had noticed some rust staining on the bottom of the actuator that failed, this had started months ago. That may have been an indicator that something was going south. Away just a heads up.

FISHON, Success! I went with the easy swap and it works like a champ. When I took the top off the old one, I had the same corrosion/rust on the top of the motor. There were a few drops of rusty water inside, and I also had rust rings on the lower portion of the shaft.

BTW, this boat is kept on a lift and this is the first actuator failure that I have had with this boat (3 1/2 yrs old). I did have a couple of failures with my previous boat but it was always in the water. In any event, the customer service at LENCO has ALWAYS been outstanding for me in the 12+ years that I have had boats with Lenco TTs. They stand behind their product and warranty.

Thanks again for the help. SS

Outstanding, glad to hear it worked out smoothly.

Latest posts

Back