Life jackets

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Inflatables aren't too bad. I usually wear one in the CC, especially when the water temps are cold. Cold water will shock your system out of the ability to keep yourself afloat extremely quickly. Most of the ones made by reputable manufacturers are decent. If you're a bigger guy, make sure you look into the Offshore versions, which will offer more flotation and beefier components.

Float coats (Mustang/Stearns) are great for the winter months too, but $$$.

A guy I know wears one of these religiously. I just ordered one for myself a couple of days ago.
8786e5c1c65c0282b54c13bfa698b899.jpg
95170857c68ebc4b89bf39143549a42c.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

I wear the same one, with a PLB attached, and the Fell fob in my pocket.
Also carry a Viking 6 man on board.
I fish alone....

albiejunkie":3mhea1rp said:
I wear the same one, with a PLB attached, and the Fell fob in my pocket.
Also carry a Viking 6 man on board.
I fish alone....

I also have the Fell fob but on a wrist strap. Trying to decide if I want to add a handheld vhf or plb. It'll be one or the other.

I fish alone many times. And often find myself 501-150 miles offshore at night with a good fishing crew buy guys who really don't know how to operate a vessel.

I purchased a Crewsaver 190N last year and wear it all the time ...... if if I'm just running in the river. It has the crotch straps to keep the lifejacket in the appropriate anatomical location if deployed (so it doesn't ride-up your neck), it also has a hood to keep crashing waves from drowning you. It's light and comfortable. But it's not cheap. I think I paid $280 for it in August 2017. I also keep a PLB in my pocket and a Fell engine-shutoff on my wrist. Handheld VHF radio is kept at the helm station and readily available in case we need to quickly depart the vessel.

https://www.amazon.com/Crewsaver-Offsho ... B015Q3AQDQ

This is the one that I got. It was listed as USCG Type ll. All of the inflatables may not be listed that way? At least that was the case 3 years or so ago when I purchased it. Something like this is the way to go for comfort if you plan to wear it the whole time, IMO.

Attachments

• ECD9F401-3DA1-4FFF-BB03-D58C651C5D07.jpeg
    ECD9F401-3DA1-4FFF-BB03-D58C651C5D07.jpeg
    89.8 KB · Views: 295
Just a PSA... With any self inflating lifejacket make sure to store it in a dry location. The activation mechanism absorbs enough moisture to deploy the vest if you don't. I have an Onix brand like the one above and I left in my CC. It deployed. With my 2520 it stays dry enough to keep it in the pilot house.

I’ve had mine for at least 3 years and have left it in my 2120 cabin most of that time. No issues. You want an Auto Inflator type as especially by yourself and fall in or something banging your head in the process, that what may save you. Just get one and don’t sweat the rest, it will be ok.

Brent":2z70ywbv said:
What is shelf life of a rearming kit
?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I believe they are good for 3 years from when you put them in service. The bobbin is what makes the automatic, an automatic deploying vest. It's also what absorbed moisture. It stays humid year round here in the Lowcountry. The kits can be purchased on Amazon for less than $30. If you have an Academy Sports near by, they are less than $20.

https://www.amazon.com/AMRA-1352-125-On ... 132&sr=1-6

https://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/onyx-o ... tid=500032

Antidote":1nb26246 said:
Brent":1nb26246 said:
What is shelf life of a rearming kit
?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I believe they are good for 3 years from when you put them in service. The bobbin is what makes the automatic, an automatic deploying vest. It's also what absorbed moisture. It stays humid year round here in the Lowcountry. The kits can be purchased on Amazon for less than $30. If you have an Academy Sports near by, they are less than $20.

https://www.amazon.com/AMRA-1352-125-On ... 132&sr=1-6

https://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/onyx-o ... tid=500032

This s why I purchased the Mustang. They use a Hydrostatic Inflator vs. the Bobbin style. The Hydrostatic is a pressure sensor that requires the unit to be submerged more than 4” I think to be activated. This prevents false inflations from heavy rain or moisture. They aren’t cheap but they are good and Type ll USCG.

Brent":13kehko8 said:
For both brands mentioned, are there storage pockets for a PLB , radio, ...?..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

There isn't on the Onyx. There are "D" rings and the waist belt that you can connect things too.

Brent":364ja3kn said:
I never seen the brand Onyx.

Is it well made?

I got mine last week and it appears to be well constructed. It does seem to wear a little high but it's comfortable. It has one D ring and no pockets.

Back