Life of Yamaha 225F

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SledgeHammer

Reaction score
I am looking at a couple of Parkers that have some hours on them. They are both 2520s and have the Yamaha 225F. One has 650 hours and the other 1600 hours. My quesion is how many hours would you expect out of these motors before having prolems. I know it depends on how they are taken care of. I'm looking for an average. How would you compare the hours to the miles on a car or truck?

Thanks for the input.

Ive been told by my dealer/marina that mine should go strong for 2500 hours before I need to start thinking serious part replacement/repairs.

There is a patrol boat in Long Beach that has twin f225's with pprox 9,000 hours on them. My mechanic showed me an article writen when they had 8k...apparently yamaha wants to buy them back when they hit 10k to open up the motors to take a look. If you take care of the motors, they will last a long time.

Although engine hours may seem like a logical source to determine engine life and condition, it is not necessarily accurate. The National Fisherman had a great article years ago that identified engine life was directly proportional to total fuel burned during the life of the engine. The article compared diesel, four stroke, and two stroke engines. Obviously, the diesel would last longest based on fuel burned, then the four stroke, and the lowest life expectancy was for the two strokes. Technology and the quality of the engines have improved and I'm not so sure that a four stroke engine will last longer than a two stroke, but I am convinced that you do have to measure the total fuel burned.
So the original example of an F225 engine, one with 650 hours and one with 1600 hours: If the one with 650 hours ran hard at an average of 15 gph for the life of the engine, the total fuel burned would be 9,750 gallons. For the engine with 1,600 hours, if constantly cruising around the bay for an average of 6 gallons per hour for the life of the engine, the total fuel burned would only be 9,600 gallons burned. So, potentially, the two engines could be in the same condition.
I'd go beyond the engine hours and interview the owner. I'd want to know things like:
Was he the original owner? Was the engine broken in correctly? Was the engine professionally/properly maintained with records? Has there been a recent compression test? Was the engine flushed after use? Was Ring Free used regularly? Etc. I'd also look at the condition of the boat. That can tell a lot about how the engine was cared for. And finally, what is the difference in price?

Good luck with the right choice.

Ditto, well stated, the duty cycle can really put a hurtin on the motor, specially if maintenance is lacking. I'd opine that a well cared for motor with more hours that just cruised around would be a better buy than a newer one that was run pedall-to-the-metal all the time.

Try to find out their typical usage ... RPMs etc., watch out for the run&gun crowd/owner.

Primo That sounds very logical. I wonder if the onboard diagnostics has that data. The boat with 1600 hours is a repo currently on legal hold so getting past data would be hard but I think the boat can be bought right. The boat with 650 hours is a trade in so I could most likely could talk with the prior owner. This is the boat that I am leaning toward but I may make a very low offer on the repo.

I will most likely put 50 to 100 hours a year on the boat, due to the fact I have to work :( to pay for my toys. So I want be adding a lot of hours. and the hours I add will be mostly at 5 - 10 MPH. With very little at WOT.

I've witnessed some horror stories from friends who have bought repoed boats...GREAT price then everything just starts breaking once in their possession.

With that being said, a friend of mine recently picked up a 33 1994 albermarle with 2002 yanmars in it for 50K! Lot's of cosmetic issues but still a great price and the engines are tip top shape.

In my opinion, before purchasing a repo bought, you really gotta have a mechanci dig through it.

Primo":2gyel0t7 said:
I'd also look at the condition of the boat. That can tell a lot about how the engine was cared for.

Absolutely correct.
When I bought my boat, it came to me at a price I couldn't turn down, so I jumped on it.

The first and second year of ownership had me fixing a lot of "deferred maintenance" items.
The motor had a worn out water pump, salted up power head, water in the LU, burnt out O2 sensor, and a load of carbon that took awhile to fix.

After a bunch of TLC, she now runs like a Swiss watch.
It's all about the maintenance. :wink:

Back