Lobster - A messy business

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmdregs

Reaction score
I sold my 1999 ProLine and purchased a slightly used 2008 2520 last August. I had been doing recreational lobstering in MA for a number of years with the ProLine and the first time I went to pull traps with the new Parker, I was appalled at the way my crappy traps started dinging and staining the sides and gunnels of the new Parker. So at that point (early Sept.) , I decided to pull all my traps for the season in the interest of not messing up the new boat. However, there's no way I want to give up lobstering and so I'm trying to come up with a way to maybe bolt or temporarily fix some type of protective board or covering to the gunnel to avoid traps messing it up. I pull my traps by hand without a davit so there's always potential for swinging one into the side of the boat. If anyone has faced and resolved this problem, I'd love to get some ideas or photos. Thanks, John R.

my buddies do the same as you they have two heavy rubber mats one for each side they r cut to fit the whole width of boat 50% one side 50% other

he drapes them over the sides and has holes cut out where rod holders r , he has plastic plug caps he made that go through the holes to hold the mats in place......

Cheap and extremely effective and when done they just get put back on deck ...!!!!

I to plan on fishing 5 traps in R.I. with my new boat, and am also concerned about the same exact thing. Was always thinking about having a small aluminum simple platform made to fit on the gunnel, perhaps removeable. Also thinking starboard. Lets kick it around. It's a real mess, especially when the water/bait heats up later in the season.
Plan on closing on purchase early next week, then it customizing time.$$$

2005 2520XL F250

Some others should answer. I have seen a couple rigged for lobster. They set up winches in their cockpit.

But a good idea is to protect the hull with temporary pieces as mentioned. Good luck. I've helped people do it on their own personal boats. Gets messier later in the year when grass grows on lines.

Dana

have 1989 commerical hull,used mainly for crabbing lower chesapeake bay,just through bolt 1/2 ply to side ,let start at chine and go up to rubber bumper use s/s 1/4 machine screws,1/2 ply is stiff enough to have first fasteners at copit sole level,been crabbing for 21 years like this only replaced ply once,just paint back side before installing and paint outside regulary,have sternpower drve with 4bt cummins,29 mph ,turning a 19x19wheel through a 1.66 to 1 engine rebuilt twice @12000hr total

have 1989 2520 commerical hull,used mainly for crabbing lower chesapeake bay,just through bolt 1/2 ply to side ,let start at chine and go up to rubber bumper use s/s 1/4 machine screws,1/2 ply is stiff enough to have first fasteners at copit sole level,been crabbing for 21 years like this only replaced ply once,just paint back side before installing and paint outside regulary,have sternpower drve with 4bt cummins,29 mph ,turning a 19x19wheel through a 1.66 to 1 engine rebuilt twice @12000hr total

I plan on doing some lobster traps too but my new boat came with acustom davit. nice set up, can't wait to give it a shot.
2010-09-26_13-59-57_160.jpg

Latest posts

Back